PDA

View Full Version : Masked Butterflyfish

Emperor
05/19/2002, 08:18 PM
I saw a picture of the masked butterflyfish ( Cahetodon semilarvatus) and was wondering would they do well in a 75G? I looked at live aquaria.com and they have the ideal tank size for this fish as 55G... I know they put down smaller tank sizes to sell fish but I've read in numerous places Masked BF rarely exceed 8 inches. let me know what you think about putting this awesome fish in a 75G...:thumbsup:

naesco
05/19/2002, 08:34 PM
According to Robert Fenner this is a good butterfly to keep unless you have a reef tank as it eats corals.
I cannot help you on tank size requirements. Sorry

Emperor
05/19/2002, 08:40 PM
yeah, I have the conscientious Marine Aquarist and it says they are good haerdy fish but the book doewn't say much about feeding, and size requirements...so I guess I'l ask my LFS and maybe order one...

skune
05/20/2002, 03:55 PM
I have a medium semi in a 125. He is a fantastic fish,eats literally everything I throw in the tank,has a great temperament,and is very hardy. I wouldn't put him in with anything aggressive. He does swim a lot,so I'm not sure if he might be cramped in a 55.
He also has a Falcula Butterfly as a tankmate,and they get along fine.He is the best butterfly I have ever had. Not for a reef tank,he grazes on everything. If you're buying from a LFS,be prepared for a big bill,they aren't cheap!

Originally posted by Emperor
yeah, I have the conscientious Marine Aquarist and it says they are good haerdy fish but the book doewn't say much about feeding, and size requirements...so I guess I'l ask my LFS and maybe order one...