PDA

View Full Version : Personifer Angels

Chargerfan
05/19/2002, 08:25 AM
Does anyone know if there is sexual dimorphism in this species? Also, I was perusing a book at my LFS, which separates Chaetodontoplus meredithi and Chaetodontoplus Personifer into different groups (I thought that Personifer was changed to Meredithi in 1990). One that is collected at the Northern part of Australia, and the other on the Eastern part. They list 2 pictures: the 'morph' from the north having a solid yellow tail, and the the eastern one with a black stripe in the tail.

The reason that I ask is that I have purchased a 'personifer' and it has just a little blue on its face and I had heard that males have the blue face and the females do not. I wasn't aware of sexual dimorphism in Angels before. Subsequently, I was reading the book in the LFS (I'll find the name of the book and post it at a future time) and it showed a Personifer and a "Queensland" Angel. Are they not both the same animal?

anthem
05/19/2002, 09:38 AM
I'm not certain of the sexual dimorphism or whether they are just marketed that way. Many places claim a 'super male' when the coloration is 'super bright'. Not sure why its a super male vs a super female either, but that would be digressing.

Anyhow in terms of meridithi, it appears that some texts have gone back to separating the two (notably steen/martin et al). If I was to guess, I don't think it can be differentiated based on 'super male' or female. I think its just the individual coloration of the fish, and that certain individuals have more distinct coloration than others (in regard to personifers, particularly the blue spotted face).

Ed

naesco
05/19/2002, 04:38 PM
Robert Fenner says they are two different fish with one having a much brighter yellow tail.
The Queensland is shown at
www.wetwebmedia.com/marine/fishes/angels/chaetodonoplus/index.htm

Chargerfan
05/19/2002, 10:06 PM
Thanks. I'm starting to believe that I have the Meridithi and not the Personifer. My specimen has a bright yellow tail and emerging blue face (at 4.5 inches, it is probably an emerging adult).

Gary Majchrzak
07/18/2002, 12:45 AM
Chargerfan: Did you see the June 1999 issue of "Aquarium Fish Magazine"?
Scott Michael has a piece in it regarding Chaetodontoplus angels.
Apparently there are not many reefers maintaining this genus in captive reefs on RC, although they may be prime candidates.
In the aforementioned article Michael states, "The yellowtail angelfish {C.meridithi} is probably the most misidentified fish in the aquarium trade. This fish is almost always sold as the 'personifer' angelfish although it is a different species."
He goes on to state of the 'True' C. personifer: "I have never seen this species in the aquarium trade".
It was in 1990 that fish expert Rudie Kuiter described C. meridithi {from the eastern coast of Australia} as a valid species.
Chaetodontoplus personifer is limited in distribution to western Australia. Apparently they remain different species.
Please add a post to my thread on Reef Central regarding Chaetodontoplus angelfish in the captive reef. I am having a difficult time locating others maintaining members of this genus.
I have a Singapore angel in my reef. {C. mesoleucus}
Is your C. meridithi in a reef aquarium?

Chargerfan
07/18/2002, 09:24 AM
Unfortunately, the angel passed on. I was in the middle of a mud filter conversion, and I thought that everything was fine. It was eating one day, the next day it was lodged in between 2 pieces of rock, respirating heavily. I tried a freshwater dip, but it was too late. Anyway, to answer your question, the tank is live rock/fish only.

Gary Majchrzak
07/18/2002, 10:54 AM
Sorry to hear this. I suggest trying another Chaetodontoplus- and perhaps a reef someday!
Good luck!