PDA

View Full Version : Finger Leather Scarcophyton frag attachment

fishhaven
06/30/2006, 12:55 PM
Hi, I received a frag of neon yellow Finger Leather Scarcophyton. I assumed it would be attached to rock when I received it. SInce it's not, what is the best way to attach it. I really don't want to use rubber bands. Can it be covered with netting on top of rock like zenias? or should I tie it down with thread?

Travis L. Stevens
06/30/2006, 01:57 PM
It's probably best to tie it with thread. The netting could aggitate it and cause it to create unneccesary mucous coatings.

Bkndsdl
06/30/2006, 02:31 PM
There are several methods, but I've had the most success with sewing the frag to a rock with a needle and the smallest fishing line I can find, like 5lb or 10lb test.

First and foremost - I have had problems with frags that are too small. You need to realize that a leather is full of water; once you take it out of the tank, it will shrivel up to about 1/2 its size to sometimes even smaller. Just make sure your frag is big enough for you to handle; you're going to have to put a needle all the way through it. It needs to have a base diameter of about 1/4" when fully open. I would suggest you get some non-powdered vinyl gloves, too.

First, get some fishing line and at least one needle; I use two make things go faster. Cut two pieces of line, about 12" each, and thread them through the eyes of the needles. Pierce the base of the leather with the first needle and continue until you're all the way through to the other side. Take the line out of the needle eye, then tie the newly threaded coral to a piece of rock with the freshly cut end pulled to the rock (don't pull too hard; just tight enough to keep the newly cut end touching the rock). Do this again, 90 degrees and a little higher/lower than the first hole(not too close; you want them to be intact and separate). Wait about 2 weeks and you can then cut the line. I normally don't pull it out until a few weeks later just to make sure I don't tug too hard and rip the coral from the rock.

After the leather is attached to the rock and you've removed the thread, get a two part epoxy stick and glue the rock that your leather is on to a spot that you want the leather to be in your aquarium. You don't have to buy the epoxy stick sold by your lfs; the stuff I use is sold at Lowe's for a fraction of the cost and works just as good (AAMOF, it's the same stuff, just a different color).

Hope this helps!!

ziggy222
06/30/2006, 03:27 PM
i got tired of all the work in volved with needle and threat or netting and rubberbands often cut things in half.and glue often came off.now i just throw the stuff in the bottom of my tank and wait for it to attach to the rough sand ,bebbles,or shell and glue that part to the rock.

fishhaven
06/30/2006, 04:24 PM
Thanks for all your advice. Right now I have it pinched between a few small rubble rocks, in moderate current. If it doesn't get washed out I'll leave it to see what happens. Otherwise I'll try the needle and fishing line.

cstires
07/01/2006, 10:18 PM
I use the needle and thread method myself, I find it to be the best way to do it.

Justin74
07/03/2006, 02:21 AM
Finger Leather Scarcophyton? Do you mean Sarcophyton Sp.? Sarcophyton's are toadstools by there common name. If its a finger leather, good chance its a Sinularia Sp.

-Justin

fishhaven
07/03/2006, 07:41 AM
Hey thanks for replying. Here is the description. (Yellow devil's Hand Finger Leather Scarcophyton frag)
http://i14.ebayimg.com/05/i/07/37/7d/74_1.JPGThis is supposedly the actual photo of the mother. Any ideas on id?

Justin74
07/03/2006, 12:51 PM
Ya, sorry fishhaven. There's no such thing as a Scarcophyton. The correct spelling is Sarcophyton. And what you have is niether a Sarcophyton nor a Sinularia,what you have is likely a Lobophytum sp., commonly known as a Devils Hand coral. Google search these 3 names through googles image search and youll see the difference for yourself :)

-Justin