PDA

View Full Version : New Baby Bimaculoides Pics!!!

cephalopoder
05/18/2002, 11:06 AM
I just got my shipment from Jack. I got a dozen of the largest turbo snails I have ever seen and the smallest O.bimaculoides I have ever seen lol.
This little guys mantle is the size of the tip of your little finger. He is eating ghost shrimps and I will post some pics soon!
chris

Rudiger
05/18/2002, 12:30 PM
Im glad to hear the shipment went okay! I hope when I order from jack in two weeks the shipping will go smoothly too. Please do keep us updated.

pat

Pandora
05/18/2002, 03:44 PM
Cuteness! I have a question for you, cephalopoder, do you ever breed and/or sell your own cephs? I know that you are located in NH... and someone from there recently asked me about them, and I referred to this board.

NHreefer
05/18/2002, 03:49 PM
Looks sweet. Mine is about the same size.

cephalopoder
05/18/2002, 03:57 PM
I would love to breed, and I am all set up to do so. It is rather difficult to find both a male and female of the same species lol It can be done though and I am working on it. When I was collectiong octos in Costa Rica we caught dozens, but never a male. Or at least not one mature enough to sex. The best shot at it is to get eggs off some one that can not care for them.
October-feb is egg season. I am all set up to rear. I just have the 5 day old O.mercatoris right now I am rearing. The first species I plan on breeding though is a bimac. They make the best all around octo to keep.

Rudiger
05/18/2002, 04:22 PM
Chris the pictures dont show up on my screen :mad: Could you try attaching them to the post at the bottom instead of directly inserting them into the post?

pat

Pandora
05/18/2002, 04:25 PM
ceph: well, we will all anxiously await that then!

Rudiger, they worked a few minutes ago, and now I'm getting X's too with broken links. I think the site is just temporarily down.

cephalopoder
05/18/2002, 05:04 PM
Here ya go.

cephalopoder
05/18/2002, 05:10 PM
I deleted the pic posts above and just attached the pics down here.

Rudiger
05/18/2002, 05:18 PM
Thanks for reposting the pictures :) He looks very cute and is tiny so he should have a full life ahead of him.

OctoMonkey
05/19/2002, 08:12 AM
Looks good Chris, yep no way that wee one I got was a bimac, filosus is my best guess!

cephalopoder
05/22/2002, 07:14 PM
Well Colin... Keep a log, as mark says.. there is little known of this species.
My little guy has been hiding in a piece of live rock the last few days. Thought he was gone till I saw a little arm wiggle out of a hole in the rock this morning lol. If there is one thing I have learned it's,if you can't find your octo and he's not on the floor he is in the tank hiding somewhere. I have had octos hide for days at a time.
Well when I got home today the little feller was out eating a red leg hermit. He is really tiny. Over all length about 2.5-3 " A blue leg hetmit is a feast for this guy. I fed him a grass shrimp on a stick and another by hand He grabbed it but let it go as he must have been full. No matter how hard I pulled though the little octo would not let go of the stick lol. They are strong even at this young age.
chris

Rudiger
05/22/2002, 07:24 PM
I remember playing tug-o-war with my octopus. I was amazed at her strength and she was tiny.

Iwantacephalopod
05/22/2002, 09:47 PM
Cephalopoder! You reassured my interest in bimacs once again. Your photography is great in my opinion. Thats a stunning octo, at least I think so! Its so cute. I kinda want to hug it. :p :p . Ok call me crazy. Good luck with him. You seem to have a good touch with bimacs so this guy should be a breeze considering your the only man able to pull of a mimic :smokin: . Havent talked to you in awhile chris. I finally got my tank and its been cycling for a 1 month now, So octo soon enough lol.
Thanks for posting the pictures!,
Take care of your self,
Devon

One more thingy: What are the size of the " small " octos from fishsupply.com.. the ones that cost 29 dollars?

cephalopoder
05/22/2002, 10:09 PM
Thanks Devon
Octos range in size when you order small. The one I just got in is the smallest I have ever seen.
Over all its ony about 3" from top of mantle to tip of arms. They usually come a little bigger maybe 5-6" in length.