PDA

View Full Version : Hand picked Clowns

Robdean2
05/18/2002, 09:53 AM
In my 60 gal. fish only, I have two clown pairs: Percula and Tomato. They were each purchased individually at appropriate sizes in hopes of eventually breeding. All four have been tankmates for aprox. 9 months now, including a period of 3 or 4 months that they were seperated by a clear divider in a 29 gal. (I thought the divider, even though they could see through it, would put them at ease and eleminate any threat they might be feeling from the other pair, without having to run more than one set-up.)

Anyway, they're in my 60 gal. display tank now and I'd hoped they'd pick territories on opposite ends, and I wouldn't have to worry about it. However they both picked spots at one end of the tank, about 12 inches apart and the Tomato female frequently leaves her clay tile and visits the Percula's PVC hideout almost as if she's cosidering taking it over!

After all this time, I'd hate to have to choose one pair to get rid of. However, my ultimate goal is for them to spawn, and I've considered it. What are the chances of both pairs spawning in the same tank? What are the chances of them spawning at all... (should I consider purchasing an established pair?) What other types of fish would be good tank mates? Any advice would be appreciated.

Robdean2
05/18/2002, 11:22 PM
Almost forgot...

I bought a Chocolate Chip Starfish while my fish were in the 29. I put it on the Perc's side and two days later, I woke up and it was hanging half-off the glass and every "chip" chewed off and almost a whole leg!

Needless to say, the star didn't survive. Is this common? Must I give up starfish?

Thanks again.