PDA

View Full Version : Commercial Foods for Fry

melsteve
05/17/2002, 09:38 PM
I was wondering wether you wre aware of any commercial foods for fry that are avaliable as I have a pair of clown fish spwaning but dont really have the time or space for a rotifer type set up
Steve:)

FMarini
05/17/2002, 09:51 PM
Hi Steve:
Here in the USA, we kinda sorta have a commerical food for clownfry. A company called www.mountaincorals.com has a great product, its a premix of greenwater and rotifers in a gal jug. The rotifers mix last for approx 5 days in the jug and really you just add a 200-300ml of this stuff to your 10gal grow out tank and your set (the salinity is about 1.020). Ive recommended this stuff to everyone and so far everyone has had great success w/ it. As you know clownfry will only strike at living wiggling foods and shy of growing your own, this stuff is the next best thing.

Unfortunately for you it sounds like you should just allow your clown to spanw and their fry will feed your tank. Clownfry require time and effort on your part.
frank

cephalopoder
05/18/2002, 09:11 AM
Check Out www.copepod.com.

FMarini
05/18/2002, 10:45 PM
Ceph:
thanks for the site. i am familar w/ reed mariculutre, and their products are excellent. If I recall correctly you buy a ziploc bag of rotifers from these guys and freeze dried phytos. The copepods they mention are not available yet, but look very interesting.
I'm not sure if they'll ship for Melsteve guess he can just email and inquire.
frank

cephalopoder
05/19/2002, 10:37 AM
There is also a prouct I am using called cyclop-eeze that you might have good luck with for different species. I know national aquariums are starting to use it for baby sea horses and fish.
You can go to www.cyclop-eeze.com to read about it and you can buy it at www.jehmco.com. With rearing baby cephalopods I need to look at every aspect of creating the live food chain like this forum must do to lol.
chris

Dwayne
05/19/2002, 11:51 AM
Just to expand the list, try Northeast Brine Shrimp (http://www.livebrineshrimp.com/).

FWIW

Dwayne