PDA

View Full Version : Can you help me with setup?

lark
05/17/2002, 03:55 PM
I'm scrapping the reef project that I've been working on for over a year. The idea is to use whatever of the equipment I've already bought that I can. The tank is 90 gallons. I plan to keep either a puffer or a trigger -- one of the smaller species like the Undulate or Picasso Triggers or a spotted or blue dot puffer. (Is there any way to keep both a puffer and a trigger in 90 gallon?)

The limitation is that I cannot use an under the tank sump. I will probably use an aquac remora pro as the skimmer.

I intend to use a 3.5 inch DSB, although I understand that with a trigger or puffer, it is likely to be limited in terms of the kind of life that will be supported. I will also have live rock, although I don't want to overcrowd the tank with it. The real question is what kind of back up bio-filtration will I need if I go with only about 50-75 lbs of live rock.

My tank is built to support a closed loop, and using it would be desirable because I could run the return up through a seaswirl avoiding sticking powerheads in the display tank. Would there be any advantages/downside to using a cannister filter in the closed loop to help with the bio-filtration? Like one of those in-line nu-clears filled with biomedia? Does that have the same negative effect as bio balls?

The other question is lighting. I have a small fortune in lighting. Can I use any of it for this setup? I have an icecap 660 ballast and so could put two 110 watt bulbs over the tank. Is that too much light?

Thanks in advance.

For everything I've learning in the last year about reef-keeping, I'm a dunce when it comes to FOWLR.

FMarini
05/17/2002, 05:17 PM
Lark:
Sounds like you have all the equipment needed and then some. I would use the DSB and live rock, you have plenty of gallonage. Do you have powerheads or some water movement? how about a kick butt skimmer?
Cannister filters are fine AS LONG AS you clean them frequently. I personally don't like them, but many people do.
The lighting issue is whatever you want, FO tanks can be brightly lit or not lit at all. Fish could careless about lots of lighting. I personally use very little (under 1watt/gal), too much light and your constantly fighting algae growth. So its a fine line between great water quality and too much light.
AS far as fish you have some good choices. If you do a undulate then thats it. This is a one fish tank. If you do a small puffer then you can have a few fish. But the choice is yours, and yes a puffer and a trigger can work out (just not undulates). (blue box puffers are real tricky fish)
Just remember in a FO tank-> clean frequently, be anal about water exchanges and keep an eye on the water parameters. Most people just feed and forget and wonder why their fish get sick.
frank