PDA

View Full Version : local people?

wiszmaster
06/25/2006, 02:44 PM
Hello all ...

I'm fairly new to the hobby.
Just wondering who all is local here, and what kind of setup you guys run.

I just picked up a pre-loved 150g w/ lights & pump.
Scott (keinreis) is lending me some advice, helping me setup & putting up with a bunch of my 'newbie' questions ... Thanks!

In the next 2 months or so this tank should come alive ... have to clean it & polish out the scatches first though.

Does the local "club" meet, or hold show-off sesions?
Weekend workshops?

--marco

coralfarmer84
06/25/2006, 08:39 PM
I'll be living in Naples in August and have a 310 gallon tank setting up then. I'd also be interested in club events and such.

Hobster
06/26/2006, 11:29 AM
Hi Marco.
Welcome to RC. There is not a whole lot of action here in this forum, I think some folks get together once and a while. Feel free to ask any questions you may have. If we don't know, I am sure we can point you in the right direction. (or make something up:D )

keinreis
06/26/2006, 02:55 PM
Do I know you?:D

mduvall219
06/26/2006, 10:04 PM
live it fort myers with a 125 reef tank

wiszmaster
06/27/2006, 03:52 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7632257#post7632257 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by keinreis
Do I know you?:D

hey scott.

the website seems to be down for the SWFMAS?

whats the deal? if the site needs some hosting ... let me know.

"mduvall219" - post up some pics, please :)

--marco

TeresaQ
07/01/2006, 02:50 PM
Just wanted to say hi, and Welcome. There use to be some people who got together, but they havent in a while-not sure why. I am running a 55 reef, that will soon be upgraded to 150 gal with a 55 sump/fuge. Also just started a 37 cube seahorse tank. There are at least 2 lfs in ft. myers and 4 on the cape. I only go to aquarium on delprado and ocean env on cleveland.. There is also one in estero -salt water solutions. Good luck
Teresa

coralfarmer84
07/01/2006, 03:54 PM
No offense but this forum is rather dead. Where is all the reefers in the area.... I sure hope this picks up sometime soon, its nice to have people in the area to trade with and help each other out. Just my .02

TeresaQ
07/01/2006, 05:26 PM
I know i check here now and then, and all the people who use to be here are now gone. They had a few meetings at ocean environments but I dont know if they are still involved.

keinreis
07/02/2006, 12:45 AM
I am still here!

Hobster
07/03/2006, 09:01 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7664826#post7664826 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by coralfarmer84
No offense but this forum is rather dead. Where is all the reefers in the area.... I sure hope this picks up sometime soon, its nice to have people in the area to trade with and help each other out. Just my .02

What we need are more college students in Ohio.:lol:

wiszmaster
07/03/2006, 11:25 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7672438#post7672438 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Hobster

lol .. at least he posts.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7627747#post7627747 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by coralfarmer84
I'll be living in Naples in August and have a 310 gallon tank setting up then. I'd also be interested in club events and such.

Hobster
07/03/2006, 11:28 AM
What excitment can you expect from Fort Misery and Cape Cardiac/Coma??

wiszmaster
07/03/2006, 12:03 PM
haha. true!

post up some pictures of your tank, please.

coralfarmer84
07/03/2006, 04:50 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7672438#post7672438 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Hobster

lol. I'm moving to Naples in two weeks so I just thought I'd make myself known ;)

keinreis
07/04/2006, 10:05 AM
The answer is simple. all the people that were here when this started don't seem to post here anymore, so we start where they left off. gather up new people and make this thing happen again. When SWFMAS first started there were several people who were real excited and things were going good, but it quickly died. Why wait for the old people to come back just start fresh again.

coralfarmer84
07/04/2006, 11:29 AM
Sounds like a plan.... First meeting at my house July 12th to help unload my 310 gallon glass tank. I'll be having a "hands on seminar" on how to lift heavy weight with your legs not your back lol. :lol: :lol:

keinreis
07/04/2006, 11:39 AM
LOL I would actually take you up on that if I was going to be around that day.

Seriously me and Wizmaster have been friends for several years, and he is just starting to get into the reef thing. It is alot funner when you have others to compare, and share ideas. Makes the hobby better. so as soon as you get all moved, and Wizmaster (marco) gets his new set-up going. we should plan a small get togeather somewhere!

coralfarmer84
07/04/2006, 04:24 PM
yea that would be great. Any of you guys have SPS dominated tanks or some cool clams? I can't wait to get everything set up, I might pee my pants in excitement when i see the tank for the first time lol.

wiszmaster
07/05/2006, 10:21 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7679060#post7679060 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by coralfarmer84
Sounds like a plan.... First meeting at my house July 12th to help unload my 310 gallon glass tank. I'll be having a "hands on seminar" on how to lift heavy weight with your legs not your back lol. :lol: :lol:

310 gallon glass? call some amigos & your set! lol

keinreis
07/05/2006, 10:33 AM
shouldn't you be working marco instead of posting here!

I agree you can go to any local convient store in the morning and there is usually several Illegal imigrants hanging around looking for work. Pick up a couple and pay them $50 and have them unload it for you.

wiszmaster
07/05/2006, 10:44 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7683665#post7683665 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by keinreis
shouldn't you be working marco instead of posting here!

alright now ... i just got to the office a little bit ago ... been @ mom/dads house fixin & washin their boat since 7.15am ... i worked & sweat today already.

but i am going to be productive in just a minute .. i'm going to post up pictures of my RO/DI setup & my tank.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7683665#post7683665 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by keinreis

I agree you can go to any local convient store in the morning and there is usually several Illegal imigrants hanging around looking for work. Pick up a couple and pay them $50 and have them unload it for you.

and thats how we do! comprende?!

wiszmaster
07/05/2006, 11:05 AM
theres my ugly *** inside my tank!

http://marcoprechel.com/gallery2/d/5936-1/042.JPG

tank w/out me in it.

http://marcoprechel.com/gallery2/d/5940-2/045.JPG

canopy

http://marcoprechel.com/gallery2/d/5943-2/046.JPG

canopy open

http://marcoprechel.com/gallery2/d/5952-1/049.JPG

Air Water & Ice RO/DI system - NICE!!!

http://marcoprechel.com/gallery2/d/5946-4/047.JPG

NO loose plumbing!
http://marcoprechel.com/gallery2/d/5949-2/048.JPG

coralfarmer84
07/05/2006, 12:06 PM
Looks good marco, now lets see some pics of you inside the tank when its filled with water :lol: just kidding of course :rollface:

As for some illegal's unloading my tank, then what happens when they drop it or chip it, who do i sue lol. I've got a crew lined up to help me get it off, it weighs around 800 pounds thou so we'll see how that goes :rolleyes:

wiszmaster
07/05/2006, 01:40 PM
coralfarmer84,

fill me in if you don't mind.....

you already have a running 310g setup that you are transfering down here? how are you transfering the LS/LR/Fish/Coral ?

--marco

coralfarmer84
07/05/2006, 06:27 PM
I jumped the gun a lil bit. I have a 240 gallon tank currently setup here in youngstown. I'm picking up my 310 on monday and coming to naples. Then I'm going to plumb it all and have it ready to run, fill it and get it all ready. Then i'm coming back to Youngstown, packing up everything and moving it down there. I sold my tank here but the guy agreed to wait till august to get it so I have some time to transfer livestock, lights, pumps etc. It will be a strait through drive with everything packed well in oxygen in stryos so I should be ok. the liverock will be in a 55 gallon garbage can filled with tank water so it should be ok also. When i get there i'm going to setup the lights and powerheads etc while i'm aclimating corals and placing liverock. Its going to be one hell of a trip to say the least.

wiszmaster
07/06/2006, 06:23 AM
How large is your sump/fuge for the 310g tank? The 65g you have for a total of 375g?!

Good luck with the move!!! Sounds like you have it planned out... Bring some sand down with ya :-)

Where in Naples are you moving to? For work? Family? School?

coralfarmer84
07/06/2006, 11:34 AM
The sump is a 65 gallon custom acyrlic sump also brand new so yea i'll have 375 total. As for sand, its not any cheaper here than there, I'm getting my sand from a guy in miami if you want to carpool and split gas. He has aragonite mined from the bahamas, really fine like southdown for 6 bucks per 40 pound bag. Thats a deal and a half, let me know if you want to go get some with me.

I'm moving out to the estates of naples way out in the sticks, 17 street off of white blvd. My family moved there 4 years ago and I've been living alone since then. So its time to move down and enjoy the weather (and not paying my own bills lol) I'll be going to FGCU this fall as a transfer student (biology major) I'm going to try and get a job at the LFS cuz its near my house so we'll see how that goes.

I see your interested in cars, what types you into (classic?, fords? chevy's)

I'm def going to be needed a point in the right direction for things such as macros for my fuge and high quality fish ( my fish list is $$ male crosshatch trigger, wantatabei angels pair, mystery wrasse, some other sweet fairy wrasses, some of the top end stuff.)

wiszmaster
07/06/2006, 11:52 AM
sweet.

as for sand, i would love to get in with this deal ... i need sand.

cars .. hmmnn ... german cars ... vw/audi/bmw/mb .. lol .. sorry, no domestics, or classics.

I'm trying to figure out what i'm going to be doing for fuge/sump ... do you have a diagram? I'd like to get about 50g down in the stand to bump up to about 200g total.

this guy has done some real nice work ... but i just can't justify spending that much + shipping for one of his systems.... i think ... lol
http://www.lifereef.com

--marco

wiszmaster
07/06/2006, 11:54 AM
when are you planning on going to MIA for the sand? i'd bet scott will want some too?!

keinreis
07/06/2006, 02:16 PM
Domestics??? what are those? I have only owned one non-german car in my life, and it was an old jeep.

As far as me getting in on the sand I have more than enough sand for the new 90 gal. I will have to pass on that one. since the set-up starts in 2 days.

coralfarmer84
07/06/2006, 02:57 PM
well i'll be there tues night so I was thinking prolly thursday or so. If your interested we can set up a time and stuff or exchange numbers and go from there. I'm going to be needing 300 pounds for myself but i'm guessing this is a store cuz he said he keeps 50 bags on hand at all times. For 6 bucks a bag, you'll never find anything that cheap thats aragonite. Its really fine sand like beach sand, just curious why don't people down there just use the stuff on the beach?

As for imports, no problem with luxery imports or mercedes and such. I just hate jap cars that think they are speedy. I'm an american sportscar fan myself, I drive a Mustang Cobra Convertible with 350 horsepower and have a 1964 Ford Fairlane Streetrod with around 500 horsepower. I just like to go fast :D Wouldn't mind getting a porshe or M5 thou. But I think I'll save my money for the tank

I got my sump from Glasscages.com same place i got my tank. They are a deal compared to everyone else.

keinreis
07/06/2006, 03:01 PM
I hate jap cars also hense the name Keinreis that translates loosly to No Rice in german, but be carefull there are several real impressive 600+ hp hondas running around our neck of the woods.

wiszmaster
07/06/2006, 03:49 PM
coralfarmer84 ... are you planning on an auto top-off system? if so .. what are you going with .. i'm going to be setting one up, just not sure on which one.

coralfarmer84
07/06/2006, 04:34 PM
yea i figure people got money down there so I'll be careful who i race lol.

As for the auto topoff, yea i want one, thinking of doing a homemade one but really have no clue in the purchasing department about how much they are and whats good vs. whats junk. I'll be needing some digital timers as well. I want this tank to require as little maintance time as possible lol. I'm lazy

keinreis
07/07/2006, 08:15 AM
here is the auto top off i am getting

http://www.aquahub.com/store/product26.html

wiszmaster
07/07/2006, 08:47 AM
no show ... you linked a *.html page as a picture ... remove the "['img]['/img]" tags

keinreis
07/07/2006, 08:49 AM
Doh!!! fixed

wiszmaster
07/07/2006, 08:58 AM
good man!

I started the sanding process last night since lindsey was working late.

120 grid (spot sand)
220 grid (full front - all grids from here on)

and this morning i sanded for about an hour with 400 grid.

my arms & shoulders are tired & hurting .. and the tank really isn't that large to fit in ... even less when you have to sand it while laying inside.

wiszmaster
07/07/2006, 09:14 AM
click for larger version.....

http://marcoprechel.com/gallery2/d/5965-2/PICT0357.JPG (http://marcoprechel.com/gallery2/v/random_pics/aquarium/PICT0357.JPG.html)

http://marcoprechel.com/gallery2/d/5955-2/PICT0359.JPG (http://marcoprechel.com/gallery2/v/random_pics/aquarium/PICT0359.JPG.html)

left(front) sanded ... right (side) not sanded.
http://marcoprechel.com/gallery2/d/5958-4/PICT0360.JPG (http://marcoprechel.com/gallery2/v/random_pics/aquarium/PICT0360.JPG.html)

coralfarmer84
07/07/2006, 11:38 AM
Thats why I'll never get an acrylic tank. just to scratch prone. But looks like your doing a good job.

coralfarmer84
07/07/2006, 11:41 AM
my question with an auto topoff is does it hook up to your RO/DI and just turn on when nec. or do you have to make water, store in separate bin, then have it gravity fed into your main via the top off system. I'm to lazy to read up on this lol

keinreis
07/07/2006, 01:08 PM
well basically you can just get a float switch that will hook-up directly to your RODI output, and use it directly into your sump, but nobody recomends doing that since those float switches are prone to sticking in salt water. basically with this system you have your RODI watter run into a container under your tank and the float switch will control how much water is in the holding tank from the RODI, and then this kit has 2 electronic float switches that control a small pump that goes into the sump. basically with this you can add no more water than is in the holding container. if you run your RODI directly into your sump, and the float switch malfunctions you would have a constant stream of water entering your tank and it would overflow real easy. I will work up a diagram sometime monday to explain this better.

wiszmaster
07/07/2006, 01:14 PM
scott ... how much for one of those 12v pump on your desk? the air-rator one?

keinreis
07/07/2006, 01:40 PM
They are not in production yet these are only samples from the factory, we are supposed to be getting the next samples in in the next week or so, and if I get an extra one I will let ya have it.

coralfarmer84
07/07/2006, 03:45 PM
So what happens if the float valve malfuctions in the holding tank, You'd still have a flood on hand no? Sounds like you'd still have a major problem.... I was thinking about just running my ro/di off a main line with a shut off valve before it. then from there i'd have rubber hose running to my tank. When i need water just flip the lever and let it fill to the normal amount, then shut it off.... simple and inexpensive.

keinreis
07/07/2006, 03:58 PM
actually you could have a drain valve from your holding tank where if ti gets to a certain level it just drains, and the float valve failing in a freshwater condition would be alot less than one failing in a salty condition example salt creep.

coralfarmer84
07/07/2006, 08:02 PM
True i didn't think about all that. Any of you guys know anyone selling a 6' VHO retrofit in the area? I need something for supplementation.

wiszmaster
07/07/2006, 09:39 PM
Tonight we got Scott his new 90g tank, and he helped me sand & polish mine ... Still have a little but of work left on it, but its see through again at least!

Maybe I will get it started within the next 2 weeks ... We'll see...

--mp

Devil Man
07/08/2006, 01:25 PM
Hey guys/gals I would be more than willing to join in on the club thing once again. We did have a few gatherings a while back and they did all go well, just when we were ready to do another it seemed no one wanted to show up for them. I know quite a few people that would do it again. It is always fun to meet others locally and see what they have created.
When everyone is ready lets get a time and date set up so we can get this going again.
There is no more website but I think I still own the domain name. I can always throw something together and get it back up and running though.

EDIT....Just realized I was signed is under Carlos name. Anyway, this is Dustin....:rolleye1:

coralfarmer84
07/09/2006, 09:16 AM
cool... cool... I'm starting to see some potential here. I leave in the AM to get my tank, and then i'll be taking pics like crazy and starting a log... but it will be about a month behind considering the time i get my internet back up. In the meantime i'll still have lovely dialup. Gotta love technology that you've never had but can't live without lol.

wiszmaster
07/10/2006, 06:13 AM
I finished sanding, polishing & buffing yesterday ... Been filling the tank since 5.55 PM until about 6.40 am and have approximately 43.7gallons in it ... Seems like my unit is making water faster than expected, I'd guess due to the warm water coming out of the pipe.

I will have to try to get the plumbing done tonight, or tomorrow night latest.

wiszmaster
07/10/2006, 06:24 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7700241#post7700241 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by coralfarmer84
True i didn't think about all that. Any of you guys know anyone selling a 6' VHO retrofit in the area? I need something for supplementation.

Boardroom aquatics behind office depot on 41 by college pkwy is selling their VHO/MH ceiling suspended unit ... Not sure on the specs ...

If you are looking for just VHO in that length ... I think most make their own instead of getting a retrofit kit.

BriSape23
07/10/2006, 01:56 PM
I would also like to start attending meetings again...once a month is fine with me. I attended one at Dawn's house and it was great meeting all the local reefers in the area. I am ready to do an upgrade to a larger tank so ideas and extra aspirin would be welcome....

-Brian

Discus420
07/11/2006, 04:59 PM
hey just saw that you are unloading the tank tomarrow. what time. im working in the day but im free all night. ive moved plenty of heavy tanks including my 800 gal. i would like to see this forum pick up myself. ive been in the fish business for a few years myself. i have some knowlege but im always open to more. im somewhat new to salt water but ive mastered freshwater and discus. let me know if you need help. 239-745-5799 thanks mark

coralfarmer84
07/12/2006, 11:06 PM
Well I'm here and the tank is still on the trailer. I should have a group of guys lined up to help me out. If i need more I'll def give you a call Discuss. Thanks for the offer. Def have to get some type of meetings going this fall. Later guys

O and I'm still going to miami to get sand so I'll let you all know before I go...

wiszmaster
07/13/2006, 09:15 AM
make sure you have some of the large suction cups with handles to carry the tank ... it will make the move easier!!!

http://imagehost.vendio.com/bin/imageserver.x/00000000/brandsonsale/ht001907.jpg

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/LARGE-QUAD-SUCTION-CUP-GLASS-HANDLING-CLAMP-TOOL_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ43996QQihZ012QQitemZ220006452164QQrdZ1

wiszmaster
07/13/2006, 09:17 AM
and yes, i'd still like some sand ... in case we can't meet up & go together, could you get me about 200 lbs of it? you said it was $6 / 40lbs bag, correct?

coralfarmer84
07/13/2006, 10:40 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7734563#post7734563 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by wiszmaster
and yes, i'd still like some sand ... in case we can't meet up & go together, could you get me about 200 lbs of it? you said it was $6 / 40lbs bag, correct?

Do you really think you need 200 pounds, I'm only getting 300 for my 310 and the RC calculator says that will give me a 2 inch sandbed.... I don't see why it would be a problem to pick up for you, as long as you throw me some gas money ;)

Where can i get some suction cups local? i was just going to have the boys lift it out.... do you think the local fishstores have some I could use or something... take care

wiszmaster
07/13/2006, 10:53 AM
i was planning on running a 3" bed ... but maybe i'll go down to a 2" as well in which case it would be about 150 lbs.

when are you planning on going? i can't do it during the week .. only weekend.

wiszmaster
07/13/2006, 10:56 AM
for the glass carriers ... call HD, Lowes, NorthernTools, or call a glass company .. maybe with a little cash deposit they would let you borrow them for a few hours .. not sure.

good luck

wiszmaster
07/13/2006, 03:46 PM
I just stopped by my mirror shop .. he said NorthernTools has the glass carrier suction cups in 8" & 10" .... good luck!

coralfarmer84
07/13/2006, 11:57 PM
well heres the update, we carried the tank in today. It took 8 people mostly younger guys in there teens but we struggled. I can't believe it was that heavy, honestly had to be 800 pounds. we didn't use suction cups and it resulted in some smashed fingers... If i didn't have dial up here i would post some pics, its killer. Only thing that ****ed me off was a scratch on one pane and I cracked one of the eurobraces somehow during the trip. But luckily it is reinforced with another pane of glass so it really has no effect on the tank, just my attitude towards it. The scratch is on the outside, anything i can do to remove it? it looks more like a scuff so its driving me nuts. Maybe we could go get some sand on Saturday I'm running way behind schedule.... only thing is my gf has never been to miami so i was just going to make a night of it... but its bedtime and I'm exhausted. I'm going to dream about my tank of the month thread in the near future lol. later

wiszmaster
07/14/2006, 08:08 AM
awesome!
lets see some pictures!
i believe there are some glass fillers that will hide small scratches ......

as for my tank ... i built my durso standpipe last night ...

http://marcoprechel.com/gallery2/d/5977-2/PICT0392.JPG (http://marcoprechel.com/gallery2/v/random_pics/aquarium/PICT0392.JPG.html) (click for larger image)

If you are going down to MIA & want to stay the night ... just bring back 4 bags for me & we'll meet up somewhere around naples later ... or give me the contact info for the guy & i'll drive over myself sometime next week when i go to the apple store ...

thanks,

--marco

coralfarmer84
07/14/2006, 11:02 AM
I don't know whats up yet, you might even get there before me, i still can't add water for a week so I'm in no rush. I'll PM you the info and address. His RC name is Treeman.

O and i can't host pics right now because I have crappy dial up till prolly sept. and I'm not going to even waste my time waiting for this stuff to load. Just picture a huge glass box in a good size room surrounded by bedroom items lol.

wiszmaster
07/14/2006, 11:17 AM
lol.

well .. i might make a trip to boca this weekend to pickup a 100g acrylic tenecor tank to convert into a sump ... so while in boca maybe i can swing by MIA to pick up sand .... just a thought.

in your sig it says its a room divider ... is it clear front & back with overflows in the right/left side? who made the tank?

--mp

keinreis
07/14/2006, 11:36 AM
Nice standpipe! did you go buy a new bulkhead? if so what for? I have that one I am not using!

wiszmaster
07/14/2006, 11:38 AM
nope, using the old one.

parts cost my $10.66 w/tax ...

jdhuyvetter
07/14/2006, 02:30 PM
I have felt your pain. Your crew must be a little weak. When I moved my 300 into the house, it only took 7, not 8.

Best part about a tank is the move. I turned down an offer in Fort Lauderdale last week. One of the reasons was that I just don't want to move that thing anytime soon!

wiszmaster
07/14/2006, 02:33 PM
hello jdhuyvetter,

post up some pictures of all of your tanks, please.

Tomorrow i will probably drive to boca to pickup a 100g acrylic tank ... .will turn that into my sump/fuge .... unless plans change ... might even go to MIA to pickup the sand.

wiszmaster
07/14/2006, 04:29 PM
ehk ... my 3 in 1 trip is canceled ... apple called my machine is not done .. the sand guy is not available tomorrow .... so i'm not driving over for just the tank.

bummer ... maybe tuesday.

off into the weekend we go..... my aquacontroller 3 just got delivered to the house ... can't wait to open the package & mess around with it.

coralfarmer84
07/14/2006, 07:16 PM
I won't be heading over to MIA myself now till mid next week either. Yea my crew wasn't the strongest but its finally done. I'm in the process of setting up the equipment and getting ready to plumb. I bought all the PVC and fittings, cost me 100 bucks mostly because 2 inch ballvalves were like 30 bucks w/ unions.

Yea the tank is a room divider, with a side overflow on the short wall side. It sticks out and blocks the entrance to my bedroom so soon as you open the door you see it, providing a little privacy like a fake wall to go around, you can also lay in my bed and view the long side of the tank. Its got low iron glass on 3 sides for extra clarity and the tank was made by glasscages whom i dont reccomend. I noticed 2 scratches both on the outside of the tank in which i am outraged about :mad2: Also a small fish eye looking chip on the top of the viewable short side that looks like a splinter effect from cutting the glass cuz its right near the rim. I can't believe it, i think i'm going to dispute the charges with my credit card company because when i picked the tank up they wrap it in shrink wrap so you couldn't tell. I also need to use a razor to remove some of the extra silocone cuz its sloppy and the black trim was falling off the bottom when we tried to move it. Upsetting for how much I paid for this thing. Other than that its still going to turn out beautiful, just going to require some TLC on my part and living with the small blemishes.

wiszmaster
07/14/2006, 08:37 PM
If you don't mind me asking ... How much was this tank?

I actually just talked to them about building me a custom acrylic sump/fuge. (48X20X20) ... They were priced fair ... But a lot of people seem to have had issues with them.

I just noticed that the 100g tank will NOT fit under my stairs storage room/"fish room" ... So I'm kind of bummed about that!

coralfarmer84
07/15/2006, 02:20 PM
i guess i could just say you get what you pay for.... its still the nicest tank i've ever owned hands down because my 240 was used and my 55 was well.... a 55 lol. I paid a total of 1365 for the tank which broke down like this. The 300 wide which equals 310 gallons on the RC calculator was 850 bucks. Then to have it drilled with the overflow cost 170, the low iron glass for extra clarity on 3 sides cost an extra 250. 4 bulkheads came to 60 bucks and the black acrylic shield for the overflow which actually has the overflow slots on it was 35 dollars. So all in all yea the tank was a LOT cheaper than other manuf. charge new BUT new to me is grade A quality ready to set up on delivery, NOT get out your razor blade and scrape off our extra silocone (which isn't why I'm mad) or hey we chipped a piece of glass and since it was expensive we are going to try and hide the mistake with our black trim even thou it won't cover the spot you'll just have to deal with it. Thats really what made me mad. I could live with a couple tiny scratches but not a fisheye or whatever you want to call it. Maybe I'm just a perfectionist but i planned on this being my last ever tank and now its looking like oneday i'm going to buy something else because of the imperfections on this thing. All in All thou I have to say I'm satisfied because the tank is what I wanted and it will be nice when i'm done, just not happy with the few things i mentioned.

I got a 65 gallon sump from them for 200 bucks including the bulkhead which is acrylic and pretty nice.... for a sump.

I'm most likely headed to miami on monday by the way.

wiszmaster
07/17/2006, 06:55 AM
if you head over today .. can you bring me sand too, please? call me if you are going ... you have my cell number in your PM box.

thanks,

--marco

wiszmaster
07/19/2006, 10:35 AM
did you ever go over & get the sand?

coralfarmer84
07/19/2006, 06:59 PM
Marco, I got the sand but haven't been on here in a while and didn't see that you didn't get over that way yet. Sorry just didn't know if you already got some..... I will say this the stuff is a pain in the butt to rinse. It never ever gets clear so you just have to be happy with a light milky color and then add it. Fortunately my tank had no water so my water will be clear. I'm filling the tank right now, its got about an inch and a half of water in it right now. 3 more days and she'll be full. later

keinreis
07/20/2006, 07:24 AM
Thats OK marco won't set his tank up anytime in the next 3 months anyway...:p

wiszmaster
07/20/2006, 07:36 AM
you are right about that .... i just broke one of the PC's this morning ... the 4 prong connector was RUSTED into the socket ... when trying to unlodge the PC from the socket it went ::PPPPFFFFFFFF:: & the tube went partly clear ....

wiszmaster
07/20/2006, 07:52 AM
i'm almost done running the water line over to the hardwood area ... i've redone it 2 times now to hide it better .... last night i broke my hole saw kit, and my large wood hole drill ... so i stopped & went to bed.

I think tonight i'll just start ripping up some more drywall, and then be done with it.

I want to get started with running the power lines ... have you heard anything from tommy? if not, then i might just start doing it myself ...

keinreis
07/20/2006, 09:04 AM
No word from tommy, but I do have a bucket of freshly cleaned sand in my garage if you want it!

wiszmaster
07/20/2006, 09:16 AM
i'll take it ... thank you.

coralfarmer84
07/20/2006, 01:43 PM
freshly cleaned sand is priceless around these parts.... nice score lol. My tank is taking a lil bit to fill up. 24 hours in I've filledabout 6 inches of water.

wiszmaster
07/20/2006, 01:56 PM
with RO water, i'm assuming? since its taking a bit long .. which unit do you have?

I picked up the AirWaterIce Typhoon III & very pleased with it.

--mp

coralfarmer84
07/20/2006, 01:58 PM
i got mine off ebay. 100 gpd is what it is, brand i have no clue but its really nice.

coralfarmer84
07/20/2006, 02:00 PM
o by the way the sand looks really good in the tank. Now I'm going to have to get rid of my maroon clown in fear of him causing a sandstorm and clouding the water.

keinreis
07/20/2006, 02:19 PM
I nominate this the ADD thread! man we have covered many topics but none really pertain to the original post

wiszmaster
07/20/2006, 02:20 PM
PICTURES!!! come on .. dialup isn't so bad ... just resize & downgrade the res. & you'll upload in lightening speed.

coralfarmer84
07/20/2006, 11:40 PM
lol soon real soon.... come see it in person and bring some RO water :) lol

keinreis
07/21/2006, 07:27 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7783842#post7783842 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by coralfarmer84
lol soon real soon.... come see it in person and bring some RO water :) lol

I want some too! i am about out.

wiszmaster
07/21/2006, 09:56 AM
well .. my tank project has been put on hold for a month or so ... last night my washer took a S**T .... that'll give me enough time to prepare & run cables/plumbing & plan some more ....

coralfarmer84
07/21/2006, 12:13 PM
pssst... over hear... tanks are only cool with fish in them lol. Think it over and get back to us... Hence reefcentral, not empty tank central :lol: :lol:

tank now has 10 inches of water in it :p

wiszmaster
07/21/2006, 12:28 PM
I'm at bill smith right now getting a new set .... I think the tank project has been stoped for more than just 1 month ... Urg! ::broke::

coralfarmer84
07/21/2006, 04:41 PM
that really sucks.... my tank sure is filling slow, but i guess it will be worth it in the end. Maybe we should start a new thread, this one is getting kind of long

wiszmaster
07/24/2006, 08:07 AM
should we name it "Local People II" ?

yes, it sucks ... i bought a new set ... front load ... been wanting them for a while, just didn't expect to get them this soon. :-/

anybody need a dryer? maytag performa ... not dented, very good condition. $150 OBO .... will deliver in fort myers, cape coral, lehigh on full price for free.

Dawn II
08/03/2006, 06:10 PM
If anyone gets together again- let me know. Regards, Dawn.

Tlytell
08/29/2006, 08:24 PM
Just found this Forum. Ive got a 55 gal fish/soft coral tank. And a buddy of mine has a 250 fish/coral. We both dive and collect whats allowed from the local waters and the Keys. If you want something let me know. If we can find and catch it , its yours.

coralfarmer84
08/30/2006, 11:19 AM
Any reef safe fairy wrasses around here? Diving sounds really fun, I'd like to get certified oneday myself. What are the local reefs like, anything spectacular...

Cutiewitbooty
08/31/2006, 09:55 PM
whats up :D

coralfarmer84
09/01/2006, 02:27 PM
well we have a total of 6 or so people lol. you'd figure livin by the ocean would excite some people to have reef tanks.

Tlytell
09/01/2006, 09:16 PM
there are quite a few, look at the # of reef/fish stores around. they just need to know were to go for the forum.

coralfarmer84
09/02/2006, 01:49 PM
I only know of three in my area. Do you know where i can find somemore locally. I know of ocean environments, saltwater solutions, and Fish Central

Cutiewitbooty
09/02/2006, 11:01 PM
there is a cool place called mikes thats in north cape coral, but recently something happened to make and it's just called corals rocks and fish or something likt that. The corals they have there are pretty awesome even though the the selection isn't as big as most places. The prices are amazing though, it's worth checking out. I have only been there once since mike left but it still looked pretty good.

coralfarmer84
09/03/2006, 09:18 PM
cool, i'll keep that in mind. Anywhere with really nice SPS selection and prices. I'm also looking for some high end fish like nice fairy wrasses, and a male crosshatch trigger