PDA

View Full Version : So... What do you have under the hood?

wolfpack
05/16/2002, 11:08 PM
I was evaluating my current setup and wondering if I'm going in the right direction or if I need to make some changes. I would like to see what others with FOWLR have running?

My system is a 200 RR oceanic
200 lbs of live rock
36x16x16 sump with about 12 gallons of bio balls :rolleyes:
Iwaki MD70RLT for return pump
Iwaki MD40RLT for Precision Marine CV-626

I already ordered a MyReef MR-2 skimmer and a Ampmaster 3000. I'm going to try runnning the MD70RLT on the new skimmer and use the Ampmaster for return. But...My first reason for getting the Ampmaster was to quiet my system down as my system is setup in my office at home. A little too noisy on the MD70RLT so I may try to run with the MD40RLT?

dsb1829
05/23/2002, 05:38 PM
FO tanks can be anywhere from very simple to totally elaborate. Just like the reef tank. I have found greatest enjoyment from my FO tanks when I have kept them on the simple side. One of my favorite tanks was our 140g FO. On this tank we used about 200lb of sand and crushed coral, 150-200lb of live rock, and hang on filters/overflows. A few powerheads, 2 Hang on canister filters, and a Rio :rolleyes: return pump provided plenty of water movement. The sump was a basic wet-dry that was a little under size. Lights were just strip lights. We ended up breaking down the tank after catching some heat from the landlord.

We have moved and I am already thinking about the next FO tank. I already have a 230g tank for the job. I will skip the HO filters next time. Skimmer will be a big DIY Becket, already in progress. I will use a wet-dry, but probably under size it again to reduce the nitrate factory potential. A few big powerheads in the tank should provide enough flow. Lighting will most likely be strip lights, but I am also debating on halide pendants. Lots of live rock. The FO with live rock is my prefered esthetic.

ttt...

wolfpack
06/17/2002, 03:54 PM
Anyone else? I'm trying to see if I need to make improvements on my setup. Am I over thinking this or ??

It is necessary to add more current for a fish only tank? ie. power heads or ?

Thanks for the input!

Anyone using ECO systems for Fish only tank?

FMarini
06/17/2002, 06:52 PM
Hi:
I have what i consider a simple Fo w/ LR. My main tank is a 180 acrylic, I have CC as a substrate and 90lbs of large live rock peices. lighting is 2 home depot shop lights w/ 2 40watt GE F40DX56K bulbs. i almost never leave the lights on.
The sump is a 45gal tank which houses a large wet/dry. The sump is drilled out to the main return (an iwaki 40), and the skimmer. My skimmer is a custom built bullet skimmer approx 40" high w/ a MAK4 driving this (the skimmer is a prototype of the XL series), but i 've also run a regular bullet1, 2, 3 on this system. I run 300mg of Ozone directly into the becketthead.
I vaccum like crazy and change about 60gal water month, tanks been running great since early 90's

frank

wolfpack
06/20/2002, 09:34 AM
dsb, Frank,

Thanks for the feedback.

I guess fish only guys don't like to share what equipment they use? Or I'm not asking the right questions?