PDA

View Full Version : new here!

JawFish177
05/16/2002, 09:05 AM
just wanted to say hi to everyone.... i'm new here... i saw the site yesterday and am intrigued with the insights i got...

me and my bro recently set up a FO (55-gal) tank.... it has a wet/dry filter.... crush coral/sand bed combo...

i was wondering what other equipment will we need to be successful? skimmer? powerhead?

we are planning to put 1 purple tang, 3 yellow tangs and ofcourse a jawfish... i know that the tank is small but we are told different stories... some said it'll work out and some said it won't.... we are planning to upgrade with a bigger tank in the future (180 gal)...

we both have been working with our 29 gal reef tank for 1 1/2 year now and this tank is doing really well...

ne-wayz, just wanted to get some input....

FMarini
05/16/2002, 02:08 PM
Jawfish:

http://www.reefcentral.com/images/welcome.gif

Hello and Welcome to our little slice of the fish world pie.
Hopefully we can help you in your quest.

IMO-A 55 gal tank is too small for 3 tangs, nevermind one tang. These fish have large swimming areas in the wild and cramping one in a 55 gal is certain stress.

For a FO you'll ned a few items, depending on the type of fish. For predatory fish you can do a wet/dery, or cannister, lots of water changes, and i personally think a really good skimmer is a must. The CC substrate wil work, but will require you to clean it often.
if you plan on community fish then you can easily do a deep sand bed w/ live rock and this should be sufficent, again i feel a skimmer is important.
I know your just kicking around some ideas, keep reading, planon using the search command at the top frequently and i guarentee you'll find lots of info here.

Enjoy Reefcentral
frank