PDA

View Full Version : Help! Lights out

Aquarist Guru
06/21/2006, 09:47 AM
Last night after my PC lighting was on about 20 minutes they turned themselves off and wont turn back on.

I've had a 48" PC 2x130W with 3 blue LED moonbeams for about 2 months.

The fans come on still and so do the LED but the PC wont turn on at all.

Unfortunately I have 2 anemones that wont like no lighting for very long.

Any suggestions?

Bdimas
06/21/2006, 10:10 AM
I would probably go and buy a new lighting system asap.THose odessy systems always have problems and are'nt reliable.

cyclebrkr
06/21/2006, 11:14 AM
Sounds like the ballast went out. You can check the output leads with a voltmeter ( if you have one) to make sure. If you don't have one, call me tonight and I'll let you borrow mine. Good luck!

Aquarist Guru
06/21/2006, 04:27 PM
how easy are balasts to replace?

Bdimas
06/21/2006, 11:14 PM
I wouldnt think it would be that hard. All you would have to do is rewire it. You might want to label your wires so that you know where they go.

Aquarist Guru
06/22/2006, 10:38 AM
by chance anyone selling any lighting that would work for me? Currently I have a 80 Gallon Tank. So far all Fish and Anemones but I plan to add reef specimens shortly.

Right now I'm looking for lights obviously, and I believe a few people mentioned some old parts lying around they may be willing to part with. I want to convert to a sump system as currently everything is back mount.

So anyone with any old items they are looking to part with give me a ring.

Jarrod Decter
(209)830-7266

drdoolittle
06/22/2006, 10:54 AM
Jarrod,

I have some lighting system, got a Hamilton 2-175 metal halide retrofit with 2- 55 watts power compact, CoralLife 36" 4X96 watts retrofit, 72" Hamilton Deluxe Hood 3X175 with VHO, and Icecap 660.

I got a JBJ 36 with 2 96 watts deluxe that I could lend you for a few days until you get your lighting situated (dont think my live rock will miss it that much).

Let me know,

Ed 510-378-5957

drdoolittle
06/22/2006, 10:55 AM
Oh I also got a 48" 4x55 watts power compact retrofit.

Aquarist Guru
06/23/2006, 01:05 AM
ok well I met with Ed very nice guy lent me a ballast he had extra to see if that was the issue.

Well after dismantling every screw of my PC system I found that the black and white wire seem to be disconnected. Now I don't know if that happend during the dismantling but I didn't see it happen or can't think of how it would of happend.

The problem is I don't know where it would go as I can't easily see a place it would of been.

So anyone out there any good at this electrical stuff have some spare time tommorrow? If not I'm going to have to suck up a few hundred bucks and buy some sort of new lights because both my Anemones look really bad.

Anyone with something to spare let me know I'm in the market either way.

drdoolittle
06/23/2006, 10:59 AM
Nice to meet you too. Call me tonight about the same time as last night. I might be able to past by and take a look at your lighting. I dont think its your ballast, it might be the loose wiring or inline fuse. Ballast is just a transformer with capacitor to regulate voltage.

If all else fails, we could wire up the Icecap 660.

Ed

Jesus
06/24/2006, 11:22 PM
Soo, how's the 250 metal halide ballast, mogul and bulb that I gave you? All it needs is a reflector. I am pretty sure someone
here in the RC mght have a spare laying around.

jesus

Aquarist Guru
06/25/2006, 12:07 AM
Ed was going to stop by and help me figure out a wire issue I can't figure out. But we missed eachother I guess.

So I started cutting a 15 inch tall hood that will sit on top of my glass tank with a hingled hood door for working easily in the tank.

Then after the few things I have going on settle down I plan to build a matching stand that will hold room for the sump system i building.

I'm currently looking for everything needed for a sump system minus the refuge tank so anyone with an overflow (for a glass case) pumps, filters ect, please let me know.

I'm also looking for a reflector or material that would make one but let me know fast as I plan to get that done tommorrow even if I have to goto home depot and make one.

Thanks for all the help you guys are giving to get me going on my first reef I appreciate it and can't wait to see it work out.

drdoolittle
06/25/2006, 10:25 PM
Jarrod,

I apologize for last night. By the time the Pre wedding seminar ends followed by a Church mass. It was really late.

I tried to reach several times this afternoon, but no one answered your phone. We need set up another time to look at your lighting system. I get home from work around 8:30 to 9:00 pm.

Let me know,

Ed