PDA

View Full Version : Are they really that hard to keep healthy

dhost
06/20/2006, 06:15 PM
I have been reading about softies and all I see are people having trouble with them. What are the easiest to keep. What Shrooms. Zoos, corals, are the easiest to keep. I am not the best at keeping my prams perfect. I have a brown gorgonia doing well and something that looks like a small tree that is also doing very well. I just dont want to throw my money away. Any advise on getting a couple of frags of something very hardy?

Steven0000
06/20/2006, 06:43 PM
well some brown or red shrooms are very hardy and dont require much light or good water conditions, and they are also very cheap
a rag could range from $5-$15

i would say almost impossible to kill

dhost
06/20/2006, 07:20 PM
thanks steven Any zoos?

GreyHawk1968
06/20/2006, 10:22 PM
Shrooms are very hardy. Some are extremely colroful too.Zoo's are a little more difficult to keep but definatley not out of reach with a little research. Yellow polyps are extremely tough too.. I have picked off many of them with tweezers in such a way most things wouldn't survive and darned if they don't reattach and start multiplying.
Look for aquacultured stuff. It is a lot stronger and takes varying water parameters a lot better.

Lakmo99
06/20/2006, 10:27 PM
Yeah, yellow polyps are invinsable. My water params are usually horrible and i can keep soft corals no problem. I'd say that softys are the easiest of all corals to keep alive and well, but thats just me. You might want to try xenia too.

IslandCrow
06/20/2006, 11:06 PM
I have a cabbage leather (Sinularia dura) that was the first coral I ever got and has thrived under just about any conditions. Most other leathers are pretty hardy as well. Xenia may be something to try if you like them. Some people have a horrible time keeping them alive, but some of the people who do well have what most would consider substandard water conditions, so there are theories out there that they actuall like "dirty" water. My green striped brown mushrooms have been very hardy, but their growth didn't really take off until I got my parameters stabalized. Of course, the fact I didn't kill them off early on is definitely a tribute to their survivability.

reefnewbie54321
06/20/2006, 11:52 PM
I vote for shrooms, button polyps (yellow, brown or green). These are the hardiest but I would also try Kenya Trees, Xenia, and leathers ... most people (even with unstable parameters) can keep these successfully so I wouldn't say your wasting your money buy trying to keep these. No matter what the coral is there is always going to be someone saying they cant keep it. Take xenia for example ... runs wild in some peoples tanks and "melts" in others.

DiViNeLeFT
06/21/2006, 08:32 AM
i just started my tank the begining of this year and have nothing but soft corals, zoas, and shrooms... definitly great for a beginner to have something cool to look at without loosing a lot of $ if something goes wrong. i would say green star polyps are an excellent choice for a beginner coral as well. just about impossible to kill. try looking for a reefer in your area that could hook you up with some frags. most soft corals grow so quick most people with established tanks cant frag them quick enough and consider some weeds so definitly dont fork over a lot of money to a LFS for them.

reefnewbie54321
06/21/2006, 06:16 PM
You could look into local reef clubs ... I have seen free xenia, gsp, and various shrooms avialable in the past month.

dhost
06/21/2006, 06:52 PM
Great info! I am having some luck and I was not sure what to go with next. Everyone says read b4 u buy! so I am learning. Are there any Local reef clubs in Savannah GA area? Or even Augusta GA. I live in Statesboro GA and the people who reef here are few and far beteween.

dhost
06/21/2006, 06:54 PM
O yeah and the LFS here is not good. Kind of a crook!
But on the other hand Exotic underworlds in Savannah is good! So I guess I can contact them and ask if nobody is from this area.

Steven0000
06/21/2006, 09:19 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7597345#post7597345 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by dhost
thanks steven Any zoos?

go with what grey hawk said
he is right to my knowledge

ziggy222
06/28/2006, 02:11 PM
the reason you prolbably see so many people having problems with soft coral is prolbably cause beginers usually start with them.as far as zenia goes,some people consider them difficult,it depends on your tank.try to get a frag from somebody that has them 1st.i can't kill mine no matter what i do,but i gave one to my neighbor for free in order to thin mine out and it died in one day.