PDA

View Full Version : visiting reefer

coralite
05/15/2002, 09:50 AM
Hi, my name is jake and I am in the area for a few eeks and i would love to hook up w/ some of the mile high reefers and visit tanks. If anyone plans to make the rounds of the LFS I would love to tag along. I am also looking for Steve Chang's new setup, anyone know where it is? If anyone knows Kurt Gant I would like to catch up w/ him too.

FishGeeek
05/15/2002, 11:06 AM
Hi Jake, give me a call (303-400-0309) and we can hook up. I will be back in town 5-26. On vacation now. As for store check out the reef clup site for a list. Click on LFS Review
http://www.rockymountainreefclub.com/main.html

Brian

Castle Rock Reef
05/15/2002, 11:12 AM
WELCOME TO COLORADO... When you get here. Don't know whether I will be able to host you or not at the house. Not much of a tank right now.

Steve Changs place is cool. Most of the prominent fish stores worth visiting in Denver are posted in the current yellow pages and listed in club website.

We will be having a Reef Club meeting the 1st weekend, I think, in June if you are out here that long. Someplace yet to be determined.

Jim

bradwent
05/15/2002, 11:15 AM
Steve Chang's new place

Reef N Pond
2645 S Sante Fe Dr DENVER CO 80223
(720) 570-7889

You may want to call ahead and make sure someone is there. If you are on I25, exit on Sant Fe and head South. Approx a couple miles on the West side.

RBishop
05/15/2002, 12:58 PM
Hi Jake,

Although south, in Colorado Springs- you might want to try and catch Neptunes Realm on the west side in Colorado City. New owner for the past year, and a fantastic reef store. One of the best looking display tanks in the state too- a gorgeous 180 Gallon Glass Bowfront.

Castle Rock Reef
05/15/2002, 03:19 PM
Neptunes Realm - Hehe.... Thats interesting, we were there about a year ago, and it was a salt dungeon. For those in Denver it was worse then Aquamans. We like going to see other stores.

Is the other place off of (Austin Bluffs?) and Academy (NE part of town) still in business?

Jim

ojreef
05/15/2002, 05:20 PM
Hi Jake,

Denver has a world class aquarium called: Ocean Journey.

WWW.oceanjourney.org

I am a volunteer guide and aquarist asst. which means I can get tickets for a little discount off the regular price. E-mail me at:

ojreefer@aol.com if your interested and I'll get you as many as you want.

Let the club know what your schedule is like while your here also, time frame and area of Denver.:fish1:

RBishop
05/15/2002, 07:02 PM
Originally posted by Castle Rock Reef
Neptunes Realm - Hehe.... Thats interesting, we were there about a year ago, and it was a salt dungeon.

Yeah, big changes. New owner completely revamped it and turned it into a true reef store. Still crowded as far as space, but much better. Employees are REAL nice and knowledgeable as well. He's got quite an operation. Best in the Springs at this point.

Is the other place off of (Austin Bluffs?) and Academy (NE part of town) still in business?

High Country Aquatics? No- they went out of business. That's part of the reason Neptunes is doing so well now... they took advantage of the situation.

Are there any Reef stores in Castle Rock yet?

Castle Rock Reef
05/16/2002, 06:35 AM
We will have to check out Netptunes.

I kinda figured they were going away. Never really had much in the way of nice display tanks. Corals never really looked healthy.

No stores in Castle Rock yet... I wish.

Jim

coralite
05/16/2002, 10:43 AM
Does neptunes still have that monstrous hammer coral? Is Reef GAllery stil around? Thank you all for the replies.

Mark
05/16/2002, 10:50 AM
Originally posted by aquafresh
Does neptunes still have that monstrous hammer coral? Is Reef GAllery stil around? Thank you all for the replies.

I think you are thinking of a different neptune, the one on County Line? I remember that hammer. It was huge!

FishGeeek
05/16/2002, 01:54 PM
Yep, the Neptune in Littleton (like Mark said) still has it. She moved it to a new tank about 2 years ago. It was so big then they had to cut the top off the acrylic tank to get it out.

Yes Reef Gallery is still around....New owners again. Looks good.

Brian

Bob F
05/18/2002, 09:28 AM
I'm glad to see this mention of Neptune's Realm in Colorado Springs. Yes a year ago it was the worst pit you had ever visited. But the new owner (Mark Gaddy a personal friend BTW) has made tremendous changes which are ongoing as funds permit. Any Colorado reefers that haven't been there in the last year should visit. Especially you Denver people, you will be pleased.

Rbishop, I think you have it backwards. Mark was the reason that High Country was a decent reef store and when he left them and took over Neptune's Realm is when High Country started to decline and in 6 months was gone. There were other issues but as to reefs they were clueless when he left.

I readily admit my bias as a friend but you gota go see for yourself. It's not perfect yet, but is getting there with some really beautiful stock and no smoking or dark cavelike look that it used to have. The store is a tiny 20 year icon of marine aquariums and still has some of the old owner built tanks that have been updated to current techniques and lots of intense lighting over the coral tanks.

Bob