PDA

View Full Version : Major Problems

DeLiBoY
06/18/2006, 10:38 PM
Well I lost 2 fish today and 1 star fish. I temps in my AP skyrocketed today with the heat. Any suggestions on how to get them down? They were well over 85 degrees. THe place we live in now all we have is a window A/C unit but our new house we move into in about 20 days has central air. That is when I plan on setting up my 50G to help with the move. I need something for the short term though to keep temps down.

Sk8r
06/18/2006, 11:01 PM
Remove all lids. Turn on the a/c. Reverse your day/night cycle, so the lights run at night. Open the door to your sump and leave it open. Run a fan there, and one blowing across the surface of the tank. You may have to top off like crazy, but that should get it down a number of degrees.

DeLiBoY
06/18/2006, 11:20 PM
One thing I have started to do that has become effective is I have put ice cubes into ziploc bags that do not leak. Temps are coming down now.

STACKER
06/19/2006, 06:03 AM
Attach a small desk fan to blow across the water surface. Evaporative cooling will give you 5-7 deg. drop. Evap. will increase daily loss but that's easier to deal with than dead stock.

My tankmis in the basement so temps are a bit more steady but I did have temp issues running halides and covers during the day.