PDA

View Full Version : question about closed loop

green wrasse
06/15/2006, 07:11 PM
Eric I see how you did yours very nice. But my question is I am getting ready to have a 180 built with 2 overflows on the back in about 1 1/2 feet in from each end and have one extra drain and return drilled and run the return for the closed loop in about 4 to 5 inches above the bottom about an inch above the sand and run almost like a spray bar across the back but at the bottom with random holes drilled in each direction mostly just for water movement at the lower part of the tank to avoid powerheads will this work any or why won't it work. By the way the tank will be 60x24x30 just putting a lot of thought into it before I have it done. Thanks you guys are brilliant
Russ

calvin415
06/15/2006, 10:21 PM
Russ, I think this would work to give you some flow but keep in mind that it really doesn't allow you control the flow... If you are only looking for lower level circulation I think this will be fine, just keep the holes away from the sand or you'll have a never ending sand storm, not that you don't already know that. ;) What kind of circulation are you planning for the rest of the tank? 30" is a lot of depth to only run a CL only for the lower level, are you planning on additional circulation for middle and upper levels besides the returns? What kind of livestock are you planning on keeping?

green wrasse
06/16/2006, 07:23 AM
the livestock will be softies and reef fish as far as the returns I have 2 mag 18s each probably split into a y at the top for a total 4 3/4 inch outlets up high just below the water level. any suggestions would help

racer69
06/16/2006, 08:52 AM
Russ, on my 180, I have a mag 18 and a mag 24 as the returns. This comes from a 50 gal sump, and doesn't have near enough flow by thhemselves. I had to add two maxi streams, and a small power head behind the rock wall to help. Now I do have a mixed reef, so my flow will need to be more than yours, but you never know how your coral tastes will change.

The mag pumps work fairly well, but they really loose a great deal of flow with a little head pressure. Having two closed loop's might be an option with minimal flow for the bottom spray bar, and a larger pump for the surface. This is just my opinion, but extra flow is always nice to have.

racer69
06/16/2006, 08:55 AM
I may have mis-read your second post. Are the Mag pumps for the closed loop, or your returns from the sump? If they are for the cl, you will have plenty of flow as you will not have head pressure. These pumps will definatly stir up the sand if too close.

green wrasse
06/16/2006, 04:59 PM
the mag 18s are for the sump return havn'e decided on pump for cl my sump will be a 55 gal

murfman
06/17/2006, 08:14 PM
Russ, check with officespace, he has a closed loop on his 250 and we did the same thing with all the random holes in a spray bar and ended up capping off some to increase flow in other, more critical areas. He is running a huge pump but pumping up from the basement. He has a "halo" spray bar at the top and and T/L bar in the middle and bottom, behind the rock.