PDA

View Full Version : What are some of the bolder species of octopus?

Pandora
05/14/2002, 11:05 AM
Octo-monkey, for example, mentioned that his "Bali octopus" from FFE is relatively shy (I've heard this in other places, too)... are there some that adjust to tank life better than others... i.e. are more "personable" and more likely to become tame? If so, what species?

cephalopoder
05/14/2002, 01:19 PM
I Think there is no better octopus to keep than a O.bimaculoides. They have a great personality, grow to a good size are day active and friendly.
There a common octopus local to the US coastal waters so there is little chance of depleting the supply, or having them die during collection like a lot of species are exposed to from bali and the Philippines. This species is very hardy, is a excellent shipper and a inter tidal species that can tolerate various water conditions. They have
good color change ability and will accept frozen food with out a problem. And on top of all that they are less prone to crawling out of tanks compared to most species. They are even a large egg laying species so the young are able to be reared.Pretty much the dream octopus to keep.
chris

NHreefer
05/18/2002, 01:48 PM
Just started keeping my first octo and it's a bimac. . Everything Chris says seems to be true to mine. Loves to play in the open during light. Changes colors in an instant, eats frozen, hasn't tried to escape, pretty cool. My .02 HTH
Chris