PDA

View Full Version : Prionotus carolinus

Jut
05/14/2002, 03:42 AM
hey everyone:)
I have been thinking about keeping a sea robin (Prionotus carolinus) for some time now but information on them is very hard to find.
Does anyone here have any information or experience in keeping these strange fish?
thx
Jut

chrislove01
05/14/2002, 06:07 AM
Try this

http://www.bio.utexas.edu/courses/bio354l/Projects/2000/allison_pease/

heres some pics ive found, also seen them in a shop in Leicester, quite cheap, i reckon they need alot of open sandyness.

Hope this helps, cheers

Chris

chrislove01
05/14/2002, 06:08 AM
another

billsreef
05/14/2002, 09:52 PM
They get large and have very big mouths ;) I've found them to eat most anything from fresh fish to squid to clams and anything else you might use for bait when fishing. In the past I've kept a few small juvenilles and found they would consume anything smaller than them, so just watch what you put in with them.

Jut
05/15/2002, 04:43 AM
thanks guys:)
I shall get one in the next few months in a species tank. I was wondering though could i keep other fish in the tank that are poisonous like foxfaces, box fish etc......... or would they get eaten too?

chrislove01
05/15/2002, 04:58 AM
I reckon a Fuzzy lion would be cool.....

mst_RoadRash
05/15/2002, 12:02 PM
I don't know anything about this fish but I'm guessing that a Rabbit might get consumed.... at least an attempt would be made.

The problem there is if the robin trys to take the rabbit down, the Rabbit will envenomate your robin and that's pretty much it for the robbin.

It might work, like I said, never kept one but I have a Fox Face and I'm seeing the one trying to eat the other and getting stabbed for the effort.

daveR