PDA

View Full Version : might do a 55g aggresive tank-please look

cal3v
05/14/2002, 01:45 AM
Hello all. I might just do a 55g aggressive set up, although I am not sure yet. If you all could give me suggestions, that would be great. What kind of fish would be appropriate? I was thinking possibly some type of dwarf lion, would any triggers or puffers work for this tank? Any other fish suggestions? Also, is a wet-dry necessary, or would an emperor 400 and a fluval 303 work? What kind of water changes would I have to do, and how often?

FMarini
05/14/2002, 07:42 AM
Hi:
why don't you give use some ideas which way you want to set this up and we can provide some guidance.
I like wet/dries over cannister filters -but this requires a sump. I also like live rock/DSB if you can-but this will be fish dependent.
Remember 55 gal is not alot of water for big wast emakers. The dwarf lion will be fine. A puffer and trigger might be a little hairy but not totally undo-able.
I could recommend a planktonic feeding triggers like a niger, pinktail, blue cheek over a huma, picasso type trigger . As far as puffers you might try a small puffer like spotted tobies, or valentini over any of the large form puffers.
So which way you thinking
frank

Acolin
05/14/2002, 09:31 AM
Predator style tanks are a very popular option for Fish Only displays. These tanks may feature a large Lionfish strutting his stuff, a strong swimming shark, a gorgeous Grouper or a terrible toothed Trigger. In fact, a shark, a grouper, a puffer, a eel, a lionfish, a trigger together make a good combination for the predator tank. They are all hardy, aggressive eaters that relish a big tank with live foods.

Compatible fish are often found in the same habitat. Predators are reef fish. Anemone fishes, Angelfishes, small Basses and Groupers occupy reefs also. They make good companions for Predators in a large tank. Boxfish and Trunkfish also can keep a Trigger company. Many popular fish available can fit in a community tank with a Trigger: gobies, grunts, Hawkfish, Jawfish, and Lionfish. These fish, along with Porcupine, Puffers and Rabbitfishes, should all be fine to include in the same large tank.
Who else would fit? Surgeons and Tangs, Squirrelfishes and Stonefishes, these can make good tank mates for a docile Trigger. Like the Trigger, these fish are also considered hardy, simple to keep and feed, and live long in home aquaria. They, too, make good pets.
It seems many fish can share a tank with a Trigger. This is not so. The trouble with Predators is that you have to select just the right fish to be their companions. A few fish should not be included in a community tank. In fact some of the most popular, hardy and inexpensive fish should not share a tank with a Trigger. Blennies, Cardinalfish, Damselfish, Filefish and Mandarinfish are not good tank mates.

EdKruzel
05/14/2002, 12:41 PM
Acolin,
I'm sorry I have to disagree with most of your statements...

First cal3v is inquiring about a 55gal. Not a great tank for an aggressive setup. A 58 or 40 breeder would be a bit more practical as these tanks give more front to back space than a standard 55.

In fact, a shark, a grouper, a puffer, a eel, a lionfish, a trigger together make a good combination for the predator tank.

In a public aquarium maybe... I'm going off of general species here.
All the above require big tanks (>100gal / Sharks even larger) which a 55 is not.
Triggers and puffers are notorious for nipping the fins of lions and attacking the eyes of resting sharks.

For the size tank you mention, many of the dwarf predators are great.
Dwarf Lions, Hawkfish, Dwarf or slightly larger angels, several different species of wrasse remain small. There are always dottybacks if carefully selected, the smaller species of puffers as Frank mentioned fit well in that size tank.

Tangs, Large Angels, and most Butterflies grow too large for a 55.

Once you pick the fish, then you decide on the filtration that's best.
I have a DSB on my FO, however I don't have any type of fish that disturbs the sand. If you choose fish like wrasses then go with a thin layer of sand and some other means of biological such as the canister you mentioned.
A good skimmer is a must! My personal preference includes several species of plants as well.

Good Luck,
Ed

Emperor
05/14/2002, 03:31 PM
I would have to agree with Ed... groupers, big Lions and most triggers are too big for a 55... I have A volitan Lion with very long fins and a Huma trigger together and they work fine together (no nipped fins). huma triggers are typically passive (by trigger standards) but they can become very voracious and just down rright mean sometimes ( I have a scar to prove it!) FORGET ABOUT SHARKS, there is just no way in a 55g... it is hard enough to keep a shark in a 180G... I wouldn't rule out tangs though... a yellow or purple could work maybe even a regal... but they do grow fast. Flame angels I consider agressive because they are territorial, and that would be a very good canidate for your set up... so like the first post go out to LFS and take a look at the fish see what you like and come up with possible combos and maybe someone can point you the right way.

cal3v
05/14/2002, 05:52 PM
Thanks guys. The tank is kinda weird, an acrylic sold to me as a 55g, but the dimensions are 47" by 19.5" by 12.5" inside measurement. I dunno if that helps any, although I kinda doubt it will too much. I was thinking along the lines of what you were thinking frank, maybe a niger trigger, dwarf lion, and some kind of sharp nosed puffer. Would that pretty much round out the tank? I don't really want to drill the tank, or get an overflow and all, so would a fluval 303 that I clean out very often, and an emperor 400 work? Oh, I just read thar right now. A squirrelfish would maybe be cool too. I was also thinking of maybe putting some macro on there, a little lr, and maybe a dsb, although what would stir it?

EdKruzel
05/15/2002, 05:17 PM
Cal3v,
You got ripped by 5gal. That's the dimmesions of a standard 50gal.

For my preference I have never cared for the 50 or 55 because of that narrow 13'' front to back.
Similar sized tanks, the 40 and the 58 are 18''s from front to back.
That few 6''s makes a world of difference.

Since you already own the tank, I'd like to make a few suggestions...

A DSB, a layer of LR, and a frogfish.
or...
Again, DSB, a few small pieces LR, sea grass and some seahorses.
or...
Surprise...DSB, two out crops of LR, an anemone and a pair of clowns, throw in a gramma and maybe a pair of cardinals.

Just trying to put an idea or two out there...

Good Luck,
Ed

cal3v
05/15/2002, 05:36 PM
K, thanks. I think I'll keep it as a fw tank,a nd wait on a larger, or wider tank. Thanks guys. Did I just say fw? :D

T-T-Trigger
05/15/2002, 05:52 PM
How about a dwarf lion, an arc-eye hawkfish and one more like:

a snowflake eel
or
a clownfish like the clarkki or maroon
or
a toby
or
another dwarf lion
or
a big, mean, nasty, fat damselfish

How about a fuzzy, a zebra, and a Fu?

FMarini
05/15/2002, 09:09 PM
How about a fuzzy, a zebra, and a Fu?

You got that right.....

how about a popeyed seagoblin, a dwarf fuzzy, a Fu man chu and a juvenile (<5")harlequin tusk (slow growing).

frank

cal3v
05/15/2002, 09:16 PM
Oooh, that sounds cool too. I think I really should wait on a wider tank though. Thanks again.

cal3v
11/03/2002, 04:08 PM
Hmm, looks like I'm swaying in this direction again guys. I now have some sort of HOB wet/dry, that i can use in conjunction with an aquaclear 500. Aye, but I need a skimmer though. Macro nutrient export wouldn't be enough in conjunction with a dsb and some lr? I will probably not go with the big predators, but things like a thalassoma wrasse, hawks, dwarf angel, and the like that I wouldn't want to keep in my reef too badly. Would that work in conjunction with say, 25% biweekly water changes? Thanks.

Calvin

moonpod
11/04/2002, 01:04 AM
Maybe I'm wrong, but I thought that thalasomas get pretty big. But anyways, a dwarf angel would be fine once the tank is well established. Hawks would definitely do well. Dottybacks, dwarf lions, and clowns are other good options. Look at the CPR HOT refugium for algae growth and nutrient export. A cheaper option if you can finagle it is to put a tank (10 or 20) above your tank, and turn it into a refugium/algae scrubber. All you need is a powerhead and a bulkhead drilled into the tank, a light (LOA would be fine), and some macroalgae. Realistically, with a hawk, a dwarf angel and one other fish, your LR and DSB will be plenty of nutrient export for ya with a decent skimmer (remora/remora pro)

qwuintus
11/04/2002, 02:47 AM
go with a lion fish + something if you want more than 1 fish.

i just bought a undulatus trigger for my 55. hes4" doing alright right now. but hes cool and im ok with him alone.

Acolin
11/04/2002, 04:48 PM
I just saw this reply now! (?) Ed is right, not all of the fish I suggested should be in the same tank, but some of them make good mates for the others. I know there can be problems with each of them, but I have seen all of them kept in a tank together. And yes, they all outgrow a 55-gallon tank eventually and need to be swapped or replaced before they suffer from discomfort or disease.

The dwarf species would indeed be preferable.

I know that many Tangs do not outgrow a 55-gallon tank unless fed an unending supply of various algaes.

A good skimmer is indeed a must for a predator style tank (some would say all fish tanks). If plants do not cover all the live rock, they too are good additions.

The other fish suggestions are all very good, not what I would think of as predator, but certainly aggressive or assertive fish. Which opens up a whole ‘nother realm of possibilities. How about a dwarf Lion, as those are kinda cool, a ribbon eel, a Yellow Tang and a small school of bright Blue Damsels?

Dallas_Joser
11/05/2002, 11:42 PM
go to your local public aquarium ( most of us can't scuba) and look at any fish you consider an aquarium fish. Lets say a yellow tang, Pay close attention how it reacts to its environment and swims freely. Then look at your aquarium. Sobering isn't it ?

PistolPete73
11/06/2002, 02:21 PM
your tank is alittle small for some of the fish there talking about as your fish get to adult size...
A Lion of any type is good ( for all tanks )

your gonna need a larger tank for most if not all groupers if you can shoot right to a 72 gallon tank that will last awhile, note all that most fish people are telling you, you WILL need a larger tank in time.

a Adult or Adolecent Red Coris Wrasse or a Lunare Wrasse

and Achillies, Powder Blue or Purple Tang

haliquin tusk

any kind of semi social trigger ( pink tail, niger, gilded, crosshatch )

a Black Velvet or Blue Spotted Angel might work out ok there as well.

Good Luck, any question feel free to Email me, PistolP73@aol.com

EdKruzel
11/06/2002, 05:25 PM
I'm a little confused about Pete's recommendation.
Are you saying that the fish you have listed are good for his tank?

Dwarf Lion... yes, and a juvenile Tusk for awhile (slow growing), but the rest of the fish you mention will outgrow that tank in the first 6mths to a year.

Personally I hate seeing a tang in anything under a 6' tank and would like to restrict all tangs in almost any home aquaria.

Take Care,
Ed

PistolPete73
11/06/2002, 07:36 PM
actully what I said was try to at least start out with a 72 gallon tank, in 6 months if you purchase some adolecent fish, the Tang will not out grow that tank by then. Niether will the Tusk or the Angels recommended, I believe the grouper will grow the fastest and will out grow the tank 1st.