PDA

View Full Version : 125g New Setup

Emperor
05/13/2002, 08:47 PM
I'm cycling a 125G tank with 125lbs Live Sand, 130lbs of LR and a couple of cocktail shrimp. I also have an Ecosystem filter with 10lbs of LR with Caulerpa and maidens hair algae. Anyway, (enough braggin'), I was wondering if and Emperor Angel could be stocked in my tank. I know they get big and I plan on keeping very few if any other fish with it. maybe some gobies or even some clown fish. I also have a Harlequin Tusk in my 75G, could he go in as well? I look foward to your insight!

jersey
05/14/2002, 09:20 AM
You should be okay for a while. That angel grows very large, like 16" in the wild. Not sure about adding the tusk fish. Are they clean up crew safe? You will need all the help you can get keeping the tank clean. Large angels are messy eaters.

Do you plan on using a skimmer?

I have a french angel that went from less than 2" to 5" in one year. I hope to keep her in my 90 for about another year. From there, into a 180 or 240.

For filtration I am using 70 lbs of live rock, 4"dsb, euro-reef cs6-1 skimmer. I have a 22 gal sump that I plan on adding another 10 to 15 lbs of live rock.

Angels are great fish. Make sure you offer a variety of food, especially in a new set up. They like to graze all day long. Good luck.

Bob

EdKruzel
05/14/2002, 01:06 PM
Your Angel should be fine in a 125, as well as the Tusk.
As Jersey points out you have to be careful of what you add as janitors for the Tusk. No ornamental shrimp, however a cuke, nice urchin, or decent sized conch should be alright.

I cannot advocate plants enough in a FO. This sometimes takes a bit of patience when dealing with Angels, but for fact there is some type of macro that your angel won't like.

My Navarchus won't touch Halimeda, Razor, or Mexican Fern, I also have a few Padina's as well.
Most of my Racemosa as well as some beautiful Dragon's Tongue is history.
The plants provide an excellent nutrient export, cover for less stress of the occupants, and a great breeding ground for pods and worms.
Here's my lunker of a grouper poking his head from his favorite retreat.

Good Luck,
Ed

Emperor
05/14/2002, 03:20 PM
well, it is too late, I already ordered the fish from my LFS... he said it would be an adult about 5in. long for $110... which from what i am gathering from some of the people I meet at the store who have owned emperors since they started the hobby, said Emperors rarely grow over 12-13inches in a tank... I definitely will get a skimmer even though the ecosystem boasts that it is not necessary... my harlequin tusk is in my 75G with 75 very edible hermits, 20 snails and even a banded coral shrimp... I feed him silversides and krill mixed with clam and squid.. but as far as live fair... he doesn't seem interested. My tusk and banded coral shrimp get along fine and haven't had one problem for the past 3 months they have been together in my tank. I didn't think there would be a problem with a tusk and emperor in a 125... Harlequins rarely exceed 10in if they are lucky.