PDA

View Full Version : any decent shore/bridge dive spots wpb to miami?

RicksReefs
05/13/2002, 05:03 PM
looking for decent inshore shallow water snorkel/dive spots,
don't need to be spectacular just interesting.

luminary
05/13/2002, 09:09 PM
You know where the Breakers hotel is on the beach in PB? Swim straight out...there are three lines of ledges as you swim out. The first and second are close enough to do from the beach. It's a bit of a long swim, but not a bad shore dive. Last time I was there we saw TONS of lobster...too bad it wasn't season...Only problem is there is no nearby public access to the beach. You've got to park like a mile away and hike up on the beach.

There also used to be a small wreck off delray beach that was close enough to swim to. Nothing spectacular, but not bad. Always used to be a few Nurse sharks around. Not positive that it's still there as it's been about 12 years since I was there.

There are a few places up and down the coast that are beach accessible. I've done a few off the beach in the Ft. Pierce area. Couple ledge dives. There's also a boiler just north of the Ft. Pierce inlet that has a big jewfish living there.

You'll see mainly fish and sponges on the shore dives down there. Make sure you take a flag even if you're just snorkeling as all the sites are a little ways out.

ic_spotz
05/20/2002, 02:33 PM
In our local dive shops there's a book called Beach Dives from Hollywood to Jupiter. We've only done a few but they are really cool dives. One that we've been doing for years before we found the book is Lauderdale by the Sea. Take Commercial Blvd east till it runs into the ocean. Go left till you find a beach parking lot. Take your gear straight up the beach don it and go straight out about 40 yards... The reef extends north and south quite a ways and it's only 10 to 15 feet deep. I've caught lots of critters for the tank there...not to mention lobster and grouper for the table...

Scott

AzSnake
05/24/2002, 01:14 PM
I envy all you guys who can catch goodies for your tanks and who can dive any time you like. Living here in AZ has some major drawbacks.

RicksReefs
05/24/2002, 01:18 PM
yea,i know,sometimes life's a beach:D