PDA

View Full Version : 30 gal hex for an octopus?

jellyfish4me
05/12/2002, 02:41 PM
First, I would like to say, I do realize that I need to do MUCH-O reading and MUCH-O researching before getting an octopus.

Ok, Here goes...

Since I have upgraded to a 125 gal for my reef. I have an empty STANDARD 30 gal hex tank sitting in my living room. I am planning on setting it up as some type of species tank. My species wants in this order...

1. Close tie between an Octopus or Jellyfish
2. Leaf Scorpionfish or similar predatory, IE: Anglerfish, ect...
3. Seahorses

I know the shape & size of this tank would be perfect for jellyfish, but would it be suitable for an octopus? I have been reading alot about them, but have never read anything about floor space needs. Do they need a lot of floor space? A lot of width? With my hex, I have height, but not a lot of surface area. It is 20" wide and 25" tall. Would there be any problems because of tank shape?

One more question, I have read that you can line the top of tank with astroturf to keep them from escaping. Ever heard of this?

RicksReefs
05/12/2002, 04:01 PM
i'd forget the jelly. cassiopea jellies need alotta light.
the octopus would be cool,never heard of astroturf trick, but
my dog found my octo climbing the kitchen cabinets so make sure it is TIGHTLY covered.:eek1:

Rudiger
05/12/2002, 05:08 PM
I have heard the astroturf trick. I guess thats what large public aquariums use. Octo suckers cannot grip the astroturf.

cephalopoder
05/12/2002, 05:55 PM
Hi
You could get away with the 30 hex for a pygmy octopus species, but the floor space is a little small for a larger specis. I might work, but it would be a little cramped.
Astro turf work great on huge aquariums , but is not practical for the home aquaria. Your better of with a tigh fitting lid that cal breath in some way.
chris