PDA

View Full Version : Lessons learned

cyclebrkr
06/06/2006, 02:13 PM
Well, i finally completed a dry run....well, a wet run of the new tank. Only had two leaks, one from a bulkhead that just wasn't tight enough - fixed that easily, another from the closed loop pump. This is my brand new Sequence Dart pump. The inlet and outlet threads were leaking just a tiny bit. So i take the fittings back out, put more teflon tape on them, and re-install. Well, as i was tightening the outlet side down...SNAP! i broke the freakin' housing! Too much torque on it.

So, i call Reef Exotics, who i bought the pump from ( which by the way, has the best price on Sequence pumps). They had a new one in stock for a really really good price, shipped to my door. Excellent customer service!

So i guess this is a plug for Reef Exotics and a reminder to all of you to not overtorque pump housings! Especially on brand new pumps!

I was told to use the liquid teflon seal, it works much better.

Hopefully I'll get pictures posted soon of the set-up process so far.

Bdimas
06/06/2006, 02:37 PM
I bet that was frustrating. I can't wait to see it . Scott said you did a great job on the stand also.

cyclebrkr
06/06/2006, 04:21 PM
I think it turned out pretty good, considering it was my "first time". Still working on the canopy.

tacocat
06/06/2006, 06:53 PM
Was the pump housing blue? If so, Sequence changed those out to black volutes because the blue had a tendency to crack. Contact Sequence they may replace the volute (if it is a blue one) for very little.
www.mdminc.com

cyclebrkr
06/06/2006, 10:08 PM
No, it was the black housing. I just put too much force on it and it split. I called Reef Exotics and they sold me one for very little shipped to my door.

cyclebrkr
06/06/2006, 10:09 PM
Thanks for the link!

Jesus
06/06/2006, 10:39 PM
I think you put to much teflon tape. Scot told me about it. I mention to him that you should use liquid teflon. I never leak. Sorry I did not get to see your tank this week. Maybe this week. By the way, skimmer is coming soon.

jesus

cyclebrkr
06/07/2006, 11:10 AM
yeah, that's probably what happened. I picked up some liquid teflon at Home Depot. Just thought i would put this out there so that no one else makes the same mistake!

Aquarist Guru
06/21/2006, 10:16 AM
Can't wait to come see it Stephan hope it all is working as hoped.

Let me know if you want any wood help on that canope or need to borrow a router or saw or anything I can bring it by.

cyclebrkr
06/21/2006, 11:19 AM
I'm finishing up the canopy now....should be done in a couple of days. Everything else is going now. Should be able to transfer everything over in about two weeks, maybe sooner. I bought the same skimmer as Scott ( we ordered them together) and it works great! Another thanks to Jesus!