PDA

View Full Version : Octopus

OkiDivers
06/06/2006, 06:04 AM
Okay, this is the story. We have had our tank just under two weeks now. It has live rock from Naha as well as live rock that we collected one day snorkeling. We stare at the tank all time and find all kinds of new things.

We managed to get two of the crabs out but noticed a couple more really smalls ones left. The other day after we turned out the lights we noticed something moving almost like a crab. That is when we looked closer and saw it was (and still is) a baby octopus! He is the size of a dime. I guess he was a peice of live rock we collected.

We have been reading up on them and they say the WILL esacpe. Has anyone else had any experience with raising octopi? If so, we have some questions. We are kinda worried because all the websites say he will eat all the snails and stuff. I dont know if we are going to be able to keep him or not, if anyone has any advice or tips on this subject please let us know!

arika n darryl

okinawafish
06/06/2006, 04:44 PM
From what I've read your are going to need some sort of covering for your tank. Once it gets bigger you will have to weigh it down. Be careful if it's a blue-ring octupus I hear those are dangerous if not deadly.

vest0830
06/06/2006, 09:51 PM
I also have the small 5g tank with a lid that if you do decide to get rid of him....let me know :)

Ive heard that they can be pretty brittle, and they are kinda like a seahorse. -it should be the only thing in the tank. Arent they predators?

jeffb3t
06/07/2006, 03:16 AM
Personally I wouldn't want one in my tank. If they are scared, they will ink and pollute the entire tank. The ink is poisonous to any and all coral you have in the tank. Best thing to do is to pull in and let it go.

WOO HOO 500 Posts!!!

jeffb3t
06/07/2006, 04:50 AM
OORRRRRRRRR, you can put him in a pot of boiling water for a few seconds and pop him in your mouth for a tasty treat. A little wasabe and some shoyu with it is good as well.

vest0830
06/08/2006, 12:36 AM
or you can give him to me and get the good octopuss from Jusco.

OkiDivers
06/08/2006, 12:50 AM
Hey now! There will be no eating of octopus from this tank! He is very cute and comes out as soon as you turn off the light to hunt. We have heard less clicking noises in the tank, so one can only assume he is getting rid of all those dumb crabs.

We are not sure what we are going to do at the moment. We heard we will not be able to keep many living things in the tank with him, so he might have to give him to Frank or let him go when he gets a little bigger. The website says they can double their size every week in the right conditions, so the phrase, "when he gets bigger" may not be far around the corner.

jeffb3t
06/09/2006, 03:15 AM
Are you sure??? Just one little bite???

jeffb3t
06/09/2006, 03:18 AM
If he gets too big, I will "take care" of him (heard in the distance "honey get the pot of boiling water ready! it's dinner time!")

Dastank
06/09/2006, 04:19 AM
On the serious side, I know when you fish for them you use a fake crab. You might try putting a small crab in the tank right before the lights go out, you might get to see him feed, or hold a crab in some tweesers and see if he'll come out.

Sounds fun!

vest0830
06/09/2006, 04:28 AM
yeah, what would I feed that dang thing.

jasalmanza
06/10/2006, 09:27 PM
I'm curious as to how you're going to get him out....

OkiDivers
06/11/2006, 02:10 AM
Well, he is the size of a dime right now. Therefore, he is not a big threat YET. He eats stuff he finds in the sand along with crabs that he finds in the holes. As soon as we turn off the lights he comes out and starts hunting. All the websites say he eats crabs, shrimp, ect. He has managed to find enough food in the tank sofar. We figure when he gets alittle bigger we will release him.

Today we added our cleaning crew, a handful of snails and crabs. We did get several small (VERY TINY) crabs for Octo. He ate one already. Most of the snails and crabs are much bigger than him so they are not a threat right now and he seems to have enough to eat anyway.

That is what is going on right now!

fdokinawa
06/11/2006, 08:12 PM
well I ended up getting one myself.. and he did try to escape.. lol

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v287/FDokinawa/Fish%20tank/IMG_2303Medium.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v287/FDokinawa/Fish%20tank/IMG_2304Medium.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v287/FDokinawa/Fish%20tank/IMG_2306Medium.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v287/FDokinawa/Fish%20tank/IMG_2307Medium.jpg

i eventually caught him and let him go in the ocean..

Donstuprich
06/12/2006, 01:43 AM
That thing is sweet. Would you be able to support this thing if you had a big tank, say a 200G? Or would it grow to big?

fdokinawa
06/12/2006, 02:42 AM
I probably wouldnt try with any size tank.. unless it was special built for just an octopus. they have a bad habbit of climing out of the tank and getting into crevises you didnt even know about. and I think thier ink is toxic.

jeffb3t
06/12/2006, 03:14 AM
That is cool. I didn't think you would have that hitchhiker in you rock. Thier ink is poison so be careful when you handle them so they don't ink in the water.. If they do better be ready for one huge water change. If you want to dich him, we can throw him in the clam tank. Lots of crab for him to eat there and I can seal the cover.

OkiDivers
06/12/2006, 04:34 AM
I would give him to ya jeff but Darryl is not ready to part with him.

jeffb3t
06/12/2006, 04:38 AM
Let me now when you are. If he isn't too big, I will drop him in there Lots to eat and I have reserves of water for a quick change in case he inks

jasalmanza
06/13/2006, 06:28 AM
Should have gotten rid of him when you had the chance....

jeffb3t
06/13/2006, 06:49 AM
In due time they will. Once arika gets coral, she will want to part with it to protect the coral in case it inks.

jasalmanza
06/13/2006, 07:05 AM
I know, I'm just afraid it'll be too late.....!

OkiDivers
06/13/2006, 06:40 PM
You all are preaching to the chior. Saturday you can convice Darryl!

fdokinawa
06/18/2006, 05:11 PM
have another octopus.. saw him last night swiming around.. anyone want him? or know how to catch him? lol

Donstuprich
06/18/2006, 07:21 PM
put a shark in your tank ;)

OkiDivers
06/19/2006, 04:59 AM
Frank may want your octo. We took back 1 peice of live rock to the ocean and we think octo was in there. We havent seen him since Sunday and since that was his usual hiding place, it is pretty much assured that he is gone.

It was nice to meet everyone this past weekend! Thanks for the extra stuff! Maybe next time we will have something to frag.

fdokinawa
06/19/2006, 06:39 AM
If Frank wants it.. hes going to have to come find it.. hehe