PDA

View Full Version : New Tank!!!!

mfabrizio75
06/05/2006, 01:20 PM
Ok so now that i have a "REAL" job im going to be making some upgrades. I'd like to get a tank between 120 and 180 gallons. but first thing is first I have to do some re-wiring of my basement cuz I have a ton of electricity going through on one breaker, I blow a fuse once a day. So if anyone has suggestions on fixing that problem that would be great assistance.

Stack, I'm probably gonna be needing your expertise in the Sump/Fuge Department. But I won't have time or money till August.

I'm sure someone is gonna say why dont you buy ryans tank.... but its too big for my basement. I sorta want a stand about the height of Paul's for all that have seen his.

Probaby a month ago i took all of my live rock out the tank and scrubbed them extensively in water change water, to eliminate the hair algea. Everything was going great untill about a week ago when it all came back ive been doing 5 gallon water changes every week for about a month and I still havent nipped the problem. My conclusion to the problem is that im getting to much Phosphate and iron in the my water which is causing the algea. i think this cuz i have my water filter (not RO/DI) hooked up to the wash tub in my basement which is really old, and there might be rusted pipes along the waters path.

So I've decided being that im going to make alot more money why not blow it on something i enjoy (other than my new car). But i would like suggestions on where to get the tank, and making the stand (STACK....Cough.... cough). also if my reason is probably a reasonable one for the hair algea. I plan on buy a 100 GPD Aquasafe RO/DI system. they are like 100 bucks on ebay.

Jamokie01
06/05/2006, 01:25 PM
Id say thats quite likely the cause of your hair algae. If you dont have a nice refugium setup for some really good nutrient export, using plain filtered water can kill ya with the algae.

STACKER
06/05/2006, 01:50 PM
Fatbrizio.... First, get a Water-General 100 GPD unit. I believe the Aguasafe unit if what my buddy Ryan bought and the DI is not refillable, you have to replace the entire unit rather than dup out the ols resin and dump in the new like mine. Your water changes are a waste of time and money if you are using tap water. Stop immediately and either come get water from me or go to Giant Eagle and buy their RO water. You could run phosban but if you keep adding phos wioth every top-off and WC your wasting time and $$$ again. Man, you "almost Pennsylvanians" are all the same. Do you all have the same grandfather? LOL Friggin numbskulls! Man, I kill me!!!!

You can make a tank, buy a used tank, or buy a new tank. 2 sheets of 1/2" acrylic 48 x 96 some time and effort will get you a custom tank form 100 to 180 gal. one of the nicest tanks I've seen was a custom 150 that was 5' x 2' x 2'. Roomy but not gawdy but.... it was acrylic and if you don't take care to handle them properly they'll scratch-up something fierce.

Sump/fuge is nothing, a trained monkey could make one with a little direction, the right tools, and Weldon No. 3.

mfabrizio75
06/05/2006, 02:15 PM
I am using a filter, its the same as ryans that little thing that they sell at pets mart. I would never use just tap water. that filter seems to work for ryan but i think because of where i have it hooked up im running into a problem..

as for the custom tank would that be more or less than just buying one. really im not worried about money but if its gonna be expensive it probably wont be worth it.

i dont get my payed till august cuz i get paid monthly now and i didnt start my job yet.. (JULY 3rd)

STACKER
06/05/2006, 02:55 PM
Depends on the size and thickness of material, etc. New tanks 90 gal. 150 are $5 gal. average. Material to make a 150 could be as little as $300 or over $700 depending on grade and clarity. I used lexan on my 90 and did it for about $250.

Those tap DI's are ok I suppose but there's considerable peace of mind in a good RO/DI....

Money is never a problem, lack of it or lust for it is!!!! LOL

coralfarmer84
06/05/2006, 08:50 PM
For all the money i spend in replacement cartridiges for my filter i could have bought 2 RO/DI's by now. Mike when your ready to set up the new tank, I'm sure I'll be on vacation that week :lol: j/k let me know as I'm sure I can help you at least carry it in the house.

coralfarmer84
06/05/2006, 08:53 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7501821#post7501821 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by mfabrizio75
I'm sure someone is gonna say why dont you buy ryans tank.... but its too big for my basement. I sorta want a stand about the height of Paul's for all that have seen his.

O why don't you buy that Ryan kids tank... its a great deal :D

but seriously, you should just buy the tank and build a shorter stand for it buddy. Then you too could experience a massive tank. Besides I need someone to buy it so i can upgrade to my 310 or 375 (whichever I can get my hands on)

Jamokie01
06/06/2006, 12:15 AM
I wont buy it but I will accept it as a you leaving Ohio present.
Thanks Ryan, enjoy the weather.

STACKER
06/06/2006, 06:16 AM
He's broke numbskull..... Sheesh!

Maybe by the time you get your 375 gal. Coral torture chamber his apprenticeship will be paying off and you can strike a deal.... does he have any sisters or a single mom? LOL Sorry Mike I just hadda!