PDA

View Full Version : chili coral (Alcyonium)

radwkr
06/03/2006, 11:52 AM
I purchased a chili coral from, Marine Depot live. It was very pretty when i first put it in my 150g tank, two days ago. It looked liked a red Cactus. Per instructions from Marine Depot, I placed it in the sandbed in a low light area, with medium to strong water flow. Overnight it laid down and will not stand back up.
Should I relocate? It still has a rich red color.
I tested my water and everything is great. This is about a 3 year old healthy tank. I run VHO lighting about 980 watts.
Thank you in advance for any help you can give me>

reefinmike
06/03/2006, 02:27 PM
from what i understand they are non(or very little)-photosynthetic and are found under ledges. try to see if you can hang it upside down in your tank. they will open beautifully at night.

Jeremy Blaze
06/03/2006, 02:46 PM
Yes, nonphotosynthtic, found hanging in caves, has a very very poor record of survival in aquaria.

radwkr
06/03/2006, 03:05 PM
I did quit a bit of research before buying, this coral.
This used to be a good site for information, and the exchange of info. However lately there seem to be alot of , respondents, who think they are experts, and like to make smart remarks.

"RESEARCH BEFORE YOU BUY"

Jeremy Blaze
06/03/2006, 03:20 PM
I am sorry. Research before you buy was not a comment directed toward you. It is my sig, and is at the bottom of every post that I make.

As for researching before you bought, what info did you find that said this coral survives in captivity, and where did you find this info.

I have never claimed to be an expert, in fact read what it says below my name, "dumb Hobbiest"

I am simply a person that enjoys reef aquaria, and happen to work for a living, 40hrs a week, getting paid to maintain them in a public museum.

I do wish you the best of luck with this coral, it has been one of my favorites since I got into this hobby, and I killed 2 when starting out, before I learned not to try keeping them in a typical reef aquaia which is devoid of the foods this coral needs to survive.

crrichey
06/03/2006, 03:51 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7491696#post7491696 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by radwkr
I did quit a bit of research before buying, this coral.
This used to be a good site for information, and the exchange of info. However lately there seem to be alot of , respondents, who think they are experts, and like to make smart remarks.

"RESEARCH BEFORE YOU BUY"

Thats not how we do things here on RC, if you want people to help you might want to change your attitude.

sufunk
06/03/2006, 05:15 PM
I would leave it where it is , at least for a while. Mine definitely goes thru stages. He will be full and beautiful for weeks, then go 1-5 days where he is laying down looking all wilted. No changes in water parameters, he just seems to get "moody". Moving him would strees him more probably, id say to leave him and wait a few days.

reefinmike
06/03/2006, 07:14 PM
ive had mine for about 6 months. doing great and growing well. i provide no special care for it.

Jeremy Blaze
06/03/2006, 07:21 PM
reefinmike, 6 months is a good amount of time too have had this coral, care to share info on the tank it is in?

reefinmike
06/03/2006, 10:39 PM
it is in a 125 standard. it is hung upside down in a cave... it was in high organic water untill recently when i got my asm skimmer. i NEVER fed phyto plankton or any invert food to my tank until recently when i got my skimmer.

Jeremy Blaze
06/04/2006, 09:29 AM
Sounds cool. So your system was skimmerless, until recently? COrrect? And after the addition of the skimmer, you began adding phyto?

Have you noticed any difference in it after the addtion of the skimmer? Or feeding phyto?

reefinmike
06/04/2006, 10:36 PM
ive had a skimmer all along, just not the best.. a corallife 220.

Jeremy Blaze
06/05/2006, 09:18 AM
Ah, I see. Have you noticed much growth since you have had it? Do you see it respond to the feedings?

David Grigor
06/05/2006, 01:22 PM
I tried one many years ago. Good news is that likely won't be a sudden death. However, unless it has been proven that they ingest cyclopeeze and other foods now available that it will slowly get smaller and smaller until finally just wither away. I was able to get a good 6 months out of it before it started to get smaller.

Since only a been a couple of days, it's way too early to do anything. Good flow and indirect or not light is ideal. You will need to find a suitable food for it to survive.

I do seem a bit puzzled as to just how much research you did on this coral before buying. I really haven't heard of any long term success stories that can be easily duplicated. If you still have them please share the links.....