PDA

View Full Version : Reef Tour of Club Tanks

Idaho Bob
05/10/2002, 11:08 AM
Would there be interest in a reef tour of member's tanks? I went on one GARF sponsored a few years ago, and enjoyed it. It might get some press, which would introduce other current reefers and potential reefers to the group, as well as let members see each others tanks. Mine is nothing special to look, but I'm game if anyone else is.

We could compile a list of tank descriptions, pick a date to view, pick a time for some tanks (like 9-12 AM or 1-3 PM, or whatever), make maps to hand out at the "starting point", make an article for the paper with a few photos, and have a tour! Any interest out there?

zookeeper_75
05/10/2002, 11:18 AM
I work in GIS and would be willing to make the maps once I got the info from people if anyone is interested.

GARFVolunteer
05/10/2002, 09:42 PM
I think a reef tour would be awesome. I always like to show off my little peice of the reef. I have a couple of buddies that might be interested in showing their tanks also.

The only down side I can see is I can't be bragging up my tank and be off admiring others at the same time.

kgross
05/11/2002, 12:27 AM
A reef tour has been discussed before. Personally I think it is a great idea and would love to either be a part or atleast take a look at everybodies tanks.

I say lets do it, since it sounds like we have some people that are willing to help out, who would like to spearhead the effert? I would love to see us have a tour by next month some time.

Kim

Idaho Bob
05/11/2002, 10:36 AM
Scott: Being able to see other peoples tanks as well as show your own tank was why I said that a tank would be available for viewing at certain hours. If you show your tank in the morning, you can view tanks in the PM. That does make it an all day affair, however.

Sounds like we have a volunteer for a map. How about if everyone who wants to display their tank write a short description of it, description of how to get to the house, and I'll compile those into a "guide". If I had a phone list, that would help me call people to check details. People's tank description could be placed on this thread for access.

Do we want to open it to non-members? If so, would someone write an article for the paper?

What day do we want to do it? Do we have a starting point, where people can get the guide? Maybe after we have the list of aquariums for viewing, we can pick a starting point at both ends of the geographical spread, and let people go West or East. By next month? That could be pushing it.

heedicus
05/11/2002, 07:20 PM
well i cant really offer my tank as anything to look at but am more than happy to help out with any odd lose ends or anything. that is a great idea though, i know i would make the loop at least once=)
thanks
tren

kgross
05/11/2002, 11:57 PM
I say we have it open for everybody, it could be a good way to get new members for the club.

I would like to ask though that we set it up 2 days, one day for the people with tanks on the tour to look at all tanks, say as one group, and the other day for the public.

As for discriptions and phone number/address I will send you the info on my tank in an email.

kim