PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Dive the Keys?

Bomber
05/10/2002, 11:00 AM
and no I don't need directions
LOL

<------- I live here! :D

Just wondering where you dive, who you like to dive with, where do you have the best land time, etc.

Diving is part of my job description, so I more or less dive from one end to the other.

Jerel

billsreef
05/10/2002, 11:14 AM
Originally posted by Bomber
and no I don't need directions
LOL

Yeah, you just have to step off your front porch :D

BTW might be heading down your way end of the summer. Any advice on good places to stay etc for us Northerners ;)

Bomber
05/10/2002, 11:28 AM
You know I do. ;)

Have you given any thought to upper, middle, lower? Each has it's own nuances.

Jerel

SouthFla
05/11/2002, 08:59 PM
Howdy mate...

I live in south Miami (near Matheson Hammock in Key Biscayne) and love to dive around the Carysfort Light/Reef off of Key Largo. There's some wonderful relief and walls just outside and SW of the lighthouse and shallow, buoy-marked reef, and because of the protected waters the animal life is outstanding.

But, as much as I love the keys, I'd still rather point the boat East for 70 minutes and dive the bahamas :D

ja

oceanjunkie
05/13/2002, 09:45 AM
I dove the Conch Wall with Taverniere (sp?) Dive Center a few weeks ago. I don't have too many dives under my belt, but it was my favorite FL dive yet. I liked it because it was a deeper site, as opposed to all of the other keys diving I have done in 30-50 ft. Thats partially my fault since I go on the afternoon trips so I dont have to wake up at 5am. Also, the dive operation was very cool.
I haven't been any farther south, but hopefully that will change in the next few weeks. :) Does anybody recommend any sites or dive operators south of Islamorada?
Has any body been to the Dry Tortugas? Is there a relatively inexpensive way to dive there? All I can find are liveaboards, and they're pretty expensive.

-JB

scubadude
05/16/2002, 11:01 AM
Originally posted by oceanjunkie

I haven't been any farther south, but hopefully that will change in the next few weeks. :) Does anybody recommend any sites or dive operators south of Islamorada?
Has any body been to the Dry Tortugas? Is there a relatively inexpensive way to dive there? All I can find are liveaboards, and they're pretty expensive.

-JB

Capt. Hooks in Marathon is a class act Dive shop w/charters

As far as the tortugas goes, if you are after spearfishing, and lobsters the liveaboards are the only way to go unless you have a freind that has a huge vessel that will take you there, however I do believe they book charters right out of Key West that are like day trips over there, but they are cattle herding boats from what I heard. and its just a snorkel trip....like 2hrs of snorkeling, basically the best way to experience the Tortugas is a liveaboard and they cost $$ but are well worth it IMO. The two main outfits that I know of are the Ultimate Getaway, and Seaclusive, here are their websites.

http://ultimategetaway.net/

http://www.seaclusive.com/

I have been on both boats and prefer seaclusive....the spearfishing, and lobstering is to die for. Here is a couple of pics from the tortugas, and my catch

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/tents3/lobzilla.jpg

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/tents3/tortugas1.jpg

NHreefer
05/16/2002, 09:42 PM
SothFla, Did you see any angels there? Is it part of Pennacamp or can you collect? I've been diving for 10 years and would like to collect with you, from your description you know where to find all the floating bails. ;)

SouthFla
05/17/2002, 02:45 PM
LMAO NHreefer....

What do you mean "bails"?? Like hay? ;) I don't know what you're talking about....

Anyway, yep, if you like angels, lots of 'em around. I particularly like the juveniles of the french, gray, blue and queen. Beautiful specimens, but I've never kept atlantic angels so don't know about there husbandry.

Funny, I live 5 minutes from the water, boat and dive regularly, yet have an aquarium full of pacific fish and inverts...Something wrong with that picture...

oceanjunkie
05/17/2002, 03:20 PM
scubadude-

Wow, looks like some good hunting grounds over there! My buddy and I have been thinking about a live aboard. The tortugas trips are like the same $$ as a live aboard to the Bahamas from Miami. Would you recommend the Tortugas over Bahamas?
Also, I haven't really gotten into spearfishing....yet. One day, maybe, but right now I'm still relatively new to diving, just enjoying the sites!
-JB

scubadude
05/17/2002, 04:34 PM
I would spend the money on Bahamas, at least until you get into spearfishing :) Unless you love to lobster and thats basically all you want to do....There is alot of adrenaline junkies, and tall egos on the tortugas liveaboard trips....its like a competition....the bahamas liveaboard will more than likely be more laid back and relaxing.

NCScuba
05/23/2002, 10:32 PM
I just got back from Key West. I dove with Sea Breeze Reef Raiders, and I would definitely dive with them again. That was my first trip to the keys and it was perfect. We dove a couple of shallow, fish filled, colorful reefs. That's a big change from North Carolina diving. The best dive I have been on yet was with Nassau Scuba Centre...The Bahama Mama was the name of the site. We dropped down a wall to about 80 ft, then back over the top to a sandy bottom were there were about 5 "reef sharks" circling the area (they called them reef sharks, but they looked just like any shark I've seen on tv). Needless to say I sucked down the air a little faster than usual.

JazzMan
05/23/2002, 10:46 PM
As soon as they fix that mess with the Spiegel Grove, I am coming down!!

RicksReefs
05/23/2002, 11:17 PM
why wait for the spiegal,florida's waters are filled w/wrecks.
the thunderbolt in middle keys is cool,w/awesome life!
sits in about 120 ft.@bottom.one of many.

oceanjunkie
05/24/2002, 12:20 AM
Not in the keys, but while on the topic of wrecks....Has anybody dove the Tenaco Towers off of Fort Lauderdale. I was supposed to go but the trip got canceled, and I havent gotten around to it since. People around here rave about that site.
-JB

topjimmy
05/24/2002, 07:32 AM
Hey all, I'll be vacationing in Marathon in Aug. I Love to snorkel so I am hoping to find some nice public places. Also any tips on stuff that would be cool to visit..good restaurants...etc. BTW I know I should prob check with the DNR but are there places that it would be ok to collect some live sand and such ? I assume I'll need some type of permit.

Any info on the keys from "natives" would be great!

Thanks,
JimC.

Bomber
05/24/2002, 08:23 AM
Jim and all,

We have a two bedroom cottage on the water in Islamorada that we rent out. If anyone's interested, PM me.

Also, if you need any local info, PM me too! :-)

Jerel

sevenseas
05/25/2002, 09:03 AM
We love molasses reef.

Playfair
05/26/2002, 09:45 AM
A buddy and me (zmann) just got back from a long weekend dive trip to the keys...

It started in Tavernier for a dive on the Duane wreck and a reef drift with Conch Republic Divers (don't recommend due to "cattle boat" conditions). Then a night dive in Islamorada with Lady Cyana. The next day was 2 reef dives in Marathon with Capt. Banny, and finally 3 reef dives out of RamRod Key with Looe Key Reef Resort. Then of course, we spent an evening in Key West to hit all the famous bars...

The arguably "best" reefs we did were the spur and groove formations in the Looe Key Sanctuary (the least macro algae, but less vis than further up). Stayed out of Largo this trip due to "over diving".

Over all, a great trip, and very reasonable. The keys could use a paint job however, as it seems to be pretty run down looking in many spots.

Here is a link on how to access the uploaded pics in our local club forum:
http://archive.reefcentral.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=88933

oceanjunkie
05/29/2002, 01:06 PM
I think my buddy and I are going to dive the Keys this weekend. I talked to Taverniere Dive Shop, and they said we could arrange for drift dives over the conch ledge and margrets reef on sunday afternoon.....Should be sweet!

-JB

gregt
06/09/2002, 08:22 AM
oceanjunkie,

I dove tenaco towers a few years ago. It was nice, but not all that great, IMO. There's better spots up closer to you, and the keys are even better. ;)

As a "frequent renter" I can highly recommend Bombers guesthouse. Very pleasant accomodations. :D And the diving is magnifico! http://archive.reefcentral.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?threadid=91765

Bomber
06/12/2002, 06:24 PM
We love having you guys here too! :)

You just wear me out making me dive so much. :D

Jerel

Bomber
06/23/2002, 10:05 AM
As soon as they fix that mess with the Spiegel Grove, I am coming down!!

Jim, the Turtle Grove is as fixed as it will be. :)

Come on down!

Jerel