PDA

View Full Version : Compatible cleanup crew

bcwalz
05/31/2006, 08:34 AM
I wanted to get a new cleanup crew going in my tank, I lost all my snails when I moved the tank a couple months back. Currently I only have a cleaner shrimp and want to add a peppermint shrimp (to clean up possible aiptasia, I've manually removed 3 now) and an emerald crab (to cleanup bubble algae). I wanted to also add some sort of hermit crab and more snails of course. Currently I have a crushed coral substrate but may be converting it to sand in the next couple months. Any suggestions on what type and any compatibility concerns?

Monkeyfish
05/31/2006, 05:11 PM
Peppermint shrimp are hit or miss with aiptasia control so you may want to get more than one to increase your chances.

Everything you listed should get along fine, but IMO avoid hermits. All crabs will eat whatever is available - if other aren't any good sources of preferred food they may munch on your corals.

Personally I'd change the substrate BEFORE adding anything else to the tank - less hassle in the future.

graveyardworm
05/31/2006, 05:39 PM
I agree with Monkeyfish, I would leave out the hermits and crabs, and and use a good mix of snails instead.

bcwalz
06/01/2006, 11:09 AM
would the emerald crab be ok? if not what would you suggest for bubble algae control. I've heard that some puffers will eat bubble algae.

graveyardworm
06/01/2006, 11:49 AM
The emerald crabs are hit or miss, same with most herbivorous fish some will eat it some wont. The only method I've found for getting rid of it is manual removal, but its a never ending battle.