PDA

View Full Version : White forked-head worm?

Steve973
05/30/2006, 09:26 PM
Like many of the ID requests here, I can't really get a picture that would amount to anything helpful, but I spotted the tip of a worm the other day, suspiciously near where my best colony of zoanthids disappeared. This worm is innocent until proven guilty, but it's strange looking. Maybe someone can hazard a guess regarding its identity:

The tip is white, and the end is "forked" and it looks like it could possibly be a very large mouth or some kind of pincher/grabber. It seems much bigger than the other (small) bristle worms that I occasionally see in the tank when I'm feeding. I have never seen this worm extend from the crevice, but i haven't been spying on the tank at night very much. The end of this worm looks like it could grab stuff and pull it around pretty well, or pull things (like zoanthids) off of a rock. As far as I know, the ends of bristle worms aren't split. Any idea what types of worms have split/forked ends?

Thanks in advance, and I apologize for the lack of a photo. I don't expect a miracle ID, but maybe somebody has an idea.

charlesr1958
05/30/2006, 10:11 PM
Possibly a hesionidae?

Chuck

Steve973
05/31/2006, 10:26 AM
It could very well be one of those. So, what's the "reef safety" of a hesionidae? If it's one of those, or if it's a fireworm like these - http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/may2003/short.htm - do you (or anybody else) recommend getting it out of there? And any suggestions about how to do it?

Sk8r
05/31/2006, 10:40 AM
Fireworms ok, generally. Another name for bristleworm.

Eunice worms and others, google saltcorner.com and take a look at their pix. Also look right on the RC site in the newbie area: melev has his id list up again, and it's excellent.

Steve973
05/31/2006, 10:46 AM
Fire worms are a different type of bristle worm, as far as I can tell. I've heard mixed things about those.

LeslieH
06/07/2006, 11:04 PM
I suspect what you're seeing is the probscis (= food gathering structure) of an echuroid worm. The tips are usually spoonshaped or forked; the common name for the group is spoonworms. These feed on detritus and are beneficial. There are some pictures of a proboscis in this old post: http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=3326010#post3326010

Steve973
06/09/2006, 06:17 PM
Cool pictures, but this is completely different. actually, this seems to be fairly sessile, so i'm not sure what it is. If I have the opportunity to get a picture, I will, but I think it'll be quite difficult.

Since discovering this interesting whatever-it-is, I've discovered a black eunice worm, and I'm probably 99% sure this is my zoanthid eater.

LeslieH
06/09/2006, 07:02 PM
Really? I hope you can get a good picture - I'd love to figure out what it is.

Steve973
06/11/2006, 10:12 PM
I'll try. The only problem is the fact that it's only visible from a small nook amid some hairy mushrooms. Any idea how i can get a good picture of it (in that location) with a nikon coolpix 5900?