PDA

View Full Version : ID please

The_Taz_Devil
05/30/2006, 02:20 PM
Hi all,

I hope the attachment works (first try).

Got a LR hitchhiker that I discovered when I moved my tank recently. Was hidden under the rock (attached). The tube is about 1.5 to 2" long and the head diameter is about 1". Anybody any idea what this is ?

Photo (http://reefcentral.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=171742) is here.

Thanks

The_Taz_Devil
05/30/2006, 03:50 PM
Anyone any idea then - just wondering if it is bad/good and whether those tentacles have any stinging potential to the fish?

Sk8r
05/30/2006, 05:26 PM
Doesn't look entirely like an aiptasia unless something has been noshing the tentacles. It's not majano. Aiptasia possibly, but it's also a little large for that.

The_Taz_Devil
05/30/2006, 06:33 PM
Dont think its an aiptasia either, it does retract into its tube though, worried about the tentacles though, had a saddled clown perform a dying dance on me yesterday, he went absolutely skitzo in the tank banging into everything and sundry. Took him out and put him in the QT but he only lasted an hour before giving up. His favourite hiding place was close to this piece of LR and now Im worried........:confused:

jaymz101
05/31/2006, 09:27 AM
I know Ive seen that picture in a book I have. A PocketExpert Guide to Marine Invertebrates: 500+ Essential-to-Know Aquarium Species. cant remember what it is though.

jaymz101
06/01/2006, 06:46 AM
found it. Pseudocorynactis spp. probably caribbeorum based on the dark tips on the tentacles.

http://tolweb.org/tree/ToLimages/pseudocorynactis.jpg

Not a problem, does very well in well fed tanks. Non-zooxanthellate, but does not need target feeding (but will reproduce more rapidly if fed small pieces of fish.

Prefers dimly lit areas and will probably form a colony under that ledge.

Will be eaten by copperband butterfly and several species of Lysmata shrimp.

The_Taz_Devil
06/14/2006, 06:04 AM
Thank you so much the pic looks so cool, hope mine gets to be as colourful as that.