PDA

View Full Version : black and white striped worm

mnmsea
05/26/2006, 03:33 PM
we noticed a small (1/2 inch) black worm with white stripes crossways. he is hiding in a hole in a rock and seems to extend and retract. we can't tell if he is stuck on something or just living in a crevice.

we have no idea what it is and no idea where he came from.
any ideas on an id??

we will try to get a picture, but he is a tiny shy guy.

kmk2307
05/26/2006, 04:48 PM
Try looking up Sipuncula. This is a phylum of worms that are related to molluscs.

HTH,
Kevin

mnmsea
05/26/2006, 05:54 PM
Thanks for the sipuncla name! I looked it up and perhaps this is it.
so, if this is the "peanut worm" I don't have to worry about him eating or bothering my fish or corals??? Also, looks like he will stay in the rocks from what I read.

EricBrian
05/29/2006, 07:04 PM
Ok, this may sound crazy... but, have you seen both(!) ends of the worm?

Just asking because before I knew for sure, I thought this thing, looking like what you described, was a worm too. I kept seeing this worm going in and out of the rock but never saw both ends. Then, one day, I saw it come out more and it was a mini brittle star. lol.

mnmsea
05/29/2006, 07:43 PM
i haven't seen both ends. could a brittle star be striped??? He is very shy and really in those rocks although there would be room for a starfish in there. I guess I will have to wait for him to either get bigger or come out or perhaps wave a tiny sign identifying himself??? you gotta love a good mystery. ;)

EricBrian
05/29/2006, 07:44 PM
Yes, the mini ones I have in my tank are striped.

EricBrian
05/29/2006, 07:46 PM
Hard to see here, but you can see the stripes:

http://www.nanoreef.co.uk/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2006/01/brittle-star.jpg

This is not from my tank, by the way... just found it on the web.

ladyfsu
05/29/2006, 08:44 PM
The live rock I get always has over 20 brittles on it. You don't even know they are there until you look at night with the moonlights on and the legs are hanging out everywhere.

If someone hadn't told me, I would have thought I had worms everywhere. They are striped, solid red and every other color

(OMG HAHAHAH I'M watching my little emerald crab right now and he just fell off chasing a dead brine and landed on the gobie and just rode him around like a horse, HAHAHA...sorry but that was funny).

LOL ok seriously though, I broke several pieces of rock getting these "worms" and they were always brittle stars...some very big...I don't bother what doesn't seem to be hurting anything from now on unless I'm sure.

mnmsea
05/30/2006, 07:46 PM
I can see one (seems like I have two now!) and he really is able to extend and retract and also I can see little bristles(or hairs) all around the very end when he is fully extended. I tried to get a picture, but he is in the hole and it is not coming out. I don't think it could be a brittle star because of the hairs - looks like a mouth....kinda scary...