PDA

View Full Version : New to Island

soreefreshing
05/25/2006, 07:14 AM
Hello everyone,
My family and I just got here to Okinawa Nov05. I've had my tank for about 5mos now. I have a smaller one in the kitchen, but am still setting up my 55gal tank. (Total 3 tanks)
I wish I came up on this site sooner. I would say all the stuff that I have in my tanks are all store bought!!!!! I will try to snorkel at Tori tomorrow, but would like some information as to what everyone recommends. So far I found from this site is that there is a Live Rock place in Naha. I would like to check it out if anyone is going.
Well, my wife is determine to get the stand at PetBox, but I still need an overflow box, 2 power heads, sand, and another tank as a sump, and I was going to order the Outer Orbit HQI/Compact Fluorescent/Lunar Fixture 48" 560 watt: 2-150 watt HQI; 2-130 watt 6, but it's $629!!! Does anyone have any MH or lighting recommendations? I don't have as much as everyone here does. I should have a pic in gallery, and if I have something of interest to you please let me know. Thanks.

Allen

fdokinawa
05/25/2006, 10:19 AM
for the overflow I would sugest getting one from here..

http://bluezooaquatics.com/livestock/product_info.php?id=672

just got mine from them, its a good overflow, and the cheapest J-tube I could find.

soreefreshing
05/25/2006, 10:57 AM
Man, I was looking at a CPR overflow for around $89. That is a lot cheaper. Thanks

jasalmanza
05/25/2006, 04:19 PM
I have the lifereef overflow, and it's amazing. The guy who builds them doesn't have the best costomer service skills, but he stands behind his work. Check out lifereef.com. I couldn't afford to have a critical piece (such as the overflow) like this fail. Welcome!. and if you need any help let me know!!!

fdokinawa
05/25/2006, 07:40 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7435822#post7435822 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by soreefreshing
Man, I was looking at a CPR overflow for around $89. That is a lot cheaper. Thanks

I had a CPR overflow on my tank.. it sucks. I'd feel bad for selling it to anyone. oh, and bluezooaquatics ships APO no problem.

jasalmanza.. the overflow I got from bluezoo is just as good if not better than a lifereef one. And its half the price.

vest0830
05/25/2006, 09:36 PM
On your light...I bought a used metal halide retro-fit from a guy here...and then built my own hood. I should take some pictures and post it...maybe I will do that this evening, but if your interested, I can give you a hand if you need.

Retro-fit is SO much cheaper and is very easy to assemble if you have any knowledge at all about wiring up things. (if not, LMK, i will give you a hand)

jeffb3t
05/26/2006, 03:28 AM
DON"T BUY A STAND!!!! Did I mention I build custom stands???

jeffb3t
05/26/2006, 03:29 AM
When you come to get the cheato, we can talk about lighting for your tank.

fdokinawa
05/26/2006, 03:57 AM
You live on base or off base? makes a big differance in lighting, if your on base Id go with MH's. If your off base, like me, id run T-5's or something similar.

jeffb3t
05/26/2006, 04:07 AM
This is especially helpful if you don't get housing allowance.

soreefreshing
05/26/2006, 07:16 AM
I live on base. That's why I'm not to worried about how much electricity. I looked at some retro fits, but I have to pass all this buy my Admiral/General(WIFE). She's concerned about the look of everything. She likes our saltwater fish tank, but I think 3 & maybe another might be too much. What do you guys think? Haha.
Jeff, how much would a stand cost? My wife is determined to get the metal stand at Petbox. She says "it's simple and nice", but I'm saying 29,400YEN?!?!?! I thought fixing cars was expensive!

AngelsRGorgeous
05/26/2006, 10:28 AM
Tell your wife that if you have it built, you can stain it whatever color she wants (even black).

fdokinawa
05/26/2006, 02:11 PM
Jeff built a great stand.. you can see it in my post. do not get a metal one from petbox, your going to want to put a sump in. and if you dont.. you should. as for lights.. I went with Tek T5's here is what they look like.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v287/FDokinawa/Fish%20tank/IMG_1780Medium.jpg

jeffb3t
05/27/2006, 07:44 AM
Wood is spendy here so the price is going to beclose to the price of a metal one...only I can say my stands will hold water in the event of a leak. Dont think the metal ones will back that up.

jasalmanza
06/13/2006, 06:50 AM
Can you make it to the frag party?