PDA

View Full Version : Holding fish at LFS?

Castle Rock Reef
05/08/2002, 12:14 PM
While looking around at the Local fish stores every once in a while I see "Hold for xxxx". I have an idea, but am really unsure why people would hold a fish at the store. Any of our wise sages know why they do this?

Curious,
Jim

SeaMatt Nematocyt
05/08/2002, 12:30 PM
Yeah
There are two reasons for this.

-Sometimes when you get there the day shipment arrives, you see something that you like, but to reduce the stress, you let them acclimate to the LFS tank before you move it to yours. It also helps determine if the creature you put on hold is healthy.

-LFS have to be creative in their quest for revenue. They actually rent out cube space for people that may be moving their tanks to a new house or something. I servers for extended periods of time out of the tank versus lugging 5 gall buckets to the new location. This may be an option I pursue when I move my tanks around in the next few months.

FishGeeek
05/08/2002, 12:41 PM
Get permission from spouse.
Kind of a quarantine. See how the fish is doing in a week.
Check their bank account balance.
Might need to bring said Spouse in to look at fish first.
Might need to get rid of incompatible animal in tank first.
Need to look up the fish and see what it eats.
Shop around for better deal.
Might have been a special order.
Might be fish sitting for good customer.
Might be sick, but they dont want to say, "Sick fish. Not for sale."
Customer might have paid for it, but wasn't heading home right away.
Just trying to throw us off.
Trying to start a bidding war, "Bob said he would pay $50, but if you give me $65 its yours."
Depending on size, might be someone lunch.
Fish might not be eating yet.
Need to bring in a paint sample to see if the fish will match the walls.

HTH
Brian

CastleRock
05/08/2002, 02:17 PM
Get permission from spouse?
ROFLMAO yea Like thats gonna happen :D ;)

Doug:bum:

Castle Rock Reef
05/09/2002, 07:03 AM
Sometimes in life timing is everything... Last night I was in GBR when a couple comes in and asks for there clownfish..... The fire was over in Bailey, they paid and left. The fish motel.

BTW... after bringing our paint sample... We decided on some new fish. Thanks for the idea Brian. :p

Jim