PDA

View Full Version : harlequin shrimp

Sk8r
05/24/2006, 10:53 PM
Is there any commercial food that can feed harlequin shrimp, which are starfish and urchin eaters?

Monkeyfish
05/26/2006, 01:43 PM
None that I have ever heard of. You need to supply them with live starfish (chocolate chip stars are relatively cheap).

iCam
05/27/2006, 05:51 PM
If you have a sump/fuge, some people buy a few and rotate them. Put one in, let the shrimp eat part, take it out and relocate it to the sump/fuge, put in a new, and rotate so that they have some time to heal.

Of course, I'm sure sometimes this doesn't always work out completely well.

gearqueer
05/28/2006, 09:14 AM
I had a harlequin and he always went for the center of the starfish. He would kill it in a day and the feed for a week. So with that one it would not have been possible to rotate starfish.

CB
05/28/2006, 11:02 AM
I have alot of little starfish in my tank do you think they would eat those as i want to get rid of them as the are multipling like crazy. If this would work I would get one of these shrimp

Sk8r
05/28/2006, 11:12 AM
cb, if your 'little' starfish are asterinas, which eat coral, the harlequins would indeed do a number on them. I would, however, get only one harlequin. Feeding 2 would be really hard. I know Foster/Smith has them.