PDA

View Full Version : Flatworm ID please?

tangmaster
05/21/2006, 08:07 AM
Hi,

I found this flatworm by the intake to my skimmer pump when I was cleaning it this morning. Does anyone know what it is and if it is reef safe?

Thanks,

James.
http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/37906Flatworm-004-2-med.jpg

LeslieH
05/21/2006, 10:14 AM
A polyclad flatworm. This species shows up frequently in tanks judging by the amount of posts about it. Flatworms like this are meat eaters, usually going after small molluscs, worms, crustaceans, tunicates, cnidarians, etc. Most have specialized diets, Calfo & Fenner suggest that this particular color pattern is mimicry of a Tridacna squamosa mantle pattern & possibly a predator of it but I don't think anyone knows for sure. Probably not something you want to keep in your tank. If you like it move it to your refugium & see what it feeds on.

tangmaster
05/21/2006, 10:44 AM
Thank you for the reply Leslie,

I saw that picture in "Reef Invertebrates" and mine does look identical. I do wonder how it has survived in my tank though, as I don't have any clams, and haven't added anything for ages? It did seem to send out some feeding "thread" at one point, I wonder if that is some alternate feeding method for it?

Thanks,

James.

LeslieH
05/21/2006, 10:50 AM
I frequently find this one (or something like it) on rocks in the wild. Reefers have reported it on their corals or just crawling around in the tank. Remember that C&F only inferred it was a clam predator so apparently they're just guessing. Maybe you'll be the first to find out what they do eat!