PDA

View Full Version : Still kicking around

Brewen
05/20/2006, 08:00 PM
Still looking for central coast reefers, any intress in getting together please pm me and we will go from there. Thanks for your time, Gary

Brewen
05/20/2006, 08:03 PM
" any interests" I really need to hit the spell check before posting

BBishop
05/24/2006, 10:45 AM
Anytime your ready count me in.
We're finishing up our move from Redding this weekend.
I sold and gave away most of my corals to make things easier. It almost made me cry, but I'm ready to jump right back in.

Bill

cougaraug
06/05/2006, 01:37 AM
bbishop- if you want some zoo, xenia (red sea or silver tip), or candy cane to get you back up and running, let me know.

BBishop
06/07/2006, 10:24 AM
Thanks cougaraug,
I gave away of expensive corals and fish, it was like giving away my kids. But it was for the best, I didn't want to chance killing them.

poedag
06/07/2006, 01:16 PM
Count me in if you guys want to include SB!

Brewen
06/09/2006, 09:02 PM
You got it poedag, I still need to stop by and chat. I was at msrb for a short time today and not to get NSW. Anyway maybe this coming week.

BBishop
06/10/2006, 12:23 PM
Let's set a date, place and time, start rectuiting, and get this thing off the ground.

cougaraug
06/10/2006, 03:00 PM
I'll probably be stopping by aquatic adventures sometime this week if we want to see about putting up some flyers or something.

Wicked Punk
06/14/2006, 01:37 PM
If you guy's want to include a guy from Lompoc, I would be interested :) looking to meet some fellow reefers. So who has the best LFS? I usually go to the Ocean Floor in Goleta, or Orcutt aquarium. Any other good ones around?

-Larry

poedag
06/14/2006, 01:47 PM
i still go to the ocean floor as well, but it has kinda gone down hill since Andy moved to hawaii. i'll tell you what, don't even bother going to the store down on de la vina and mission, aptasia central. i walked in there and walked right out.

Kinetic
06/14/2006, 05:44 PM
the ocean floor is increadibly clean!! I just went yesterday, probably the cleanest LFS i've ever seen. No dead anything, cool fish I've rarely ever seen in person, and reasonable prices. A small red angler went for $69.99 looked healthy and had an increadible red color. They had a circus goby which I've never seen in real life, and some cool tomini tangs as well.

Not much in terms of SPS but their LPS selection was nice, lots of blasto wellsi.

poedag
06/14/2006, 06:45 PM
you should have seen the place a year ago, it was a reefers dream. not saying it's not great now, but it used to be even better

Wicked Punk
06/14/2006, 08:35 PM
I just went in today to have a look. Yeah they keep up with their tanks. Prices I think is a little high but hey its SB :D They wanted $79.99 for a 4 headed torch. But I did get my Brazilian flameback angel there, and they were cheaper than anywhere else. so I guess it just depends on the items.

-Larry

Kinetic
06/15/2006, 12:18 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7561837#post7561837 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by poedag
you should have seen the place a year ago, it was a reefers dream. not saying it's not great now, but it used to be even better

oh darn, how did it used to be like? more selection? better lighting?

poedag
06/15/2006, 12:30 PM
the selection was really good and REALLY healthy. i never saw a sick or dead fish, no aptasia, no ich, and they used to have a much better sps selection. all sorts of cool acros. but it's still better than most!

Kinetic
06/15/2006, 12:39 PM
They have a few metal halide fixtures but they're pretty far up from the coral tanks, I'm amazed that some of their clams are still doing well.

Btw, colin, which lab do you work in at ucsb? My girlfriend volunteered at the touch tanks a year back, and she's looking into volunteering again starting fall at another lab with the marine biology department.

I actually graduated last year =/ But I'm always down here visiting.

poedag
06/15/2006, 12:45 PM
i work in the Still Laboratory in the Geography dept. we're on the first floor of the Bren building, but the majority of the work do is with the pine trees out on Santa Cruz Island. not a whole lot of marine stuff, mostly plany physiology and stable isotope chemistry. if your in town and around bren, stop by, we're in room 1316, always nice to meet fellow reefers!

poedag
06/15/2006, 12:46 PM
p.s. don't forget to bring some buckest for the NSW behind bio II !

D-Rod
06/15/2006, 03:26 PM
i'll be up for it also, if i'm in town that week?

D-Rod

Brewen
06/16/2006, 07:15 PM
Poedag, I know in about 1.5 years UCSB will be removing the brown shack and building there. They will be taking out the bike rack, lawn, brown shack and building on the corner. Once the project is done I was told the faucet will be back with free salt water. During that time is there another location to get free water maybe down down by the lagoon?
To bad they did not build the touch theater like they wanted to do there at MSRB where the lawn is between the building and the block wall next to the brown shack. That would have been great. Well if you get a chance ask around as I will also and see what we come up with.