PDA

View Full Version : Which eel is LEAST likely to eat it's tank mates.

VL
05/07/2002, 08:47 AM
I have read all the threads and I am still not very clear on which one to get. I know about the care needed for them, and I am also aware of any problems some of these have with eating and shipping. Just looking for an eel that can live with a mated pair of marron clowns and a Bi-Color angel.

Thanks.

dave_b
05/07/2002, 10:46 AM
if you got any corels throw the bi colour out straight away ehehe(joking).
not sure on any of them for sure, but my Pseudechidna bummeri white ribbon eel seems to do ok with my banded cat shark and my 2" lion fish, attacks the odd hermit now and again but nothing too serious. everything in my tank is young though so only time will tell with what they get like when they are older. one thing i do notice, the eels have no regard for where they are swimming, i.e through corel colanies

hope this helps

FMarini
05/07/2002, 11:53 AM
Hi:
From your list i can tell you emphatically that Zebra morays have NO interest in fish. All th eother moreys you list will take a fish meal. Even snowflake eels when they get bigger will potshot fish. The ribbon eels eat small tankmates, and really any eel w/ pointed teeth will grab fish.
Problem w/ the zebra moreys-clumsy as yeck and get pretty thick, they will easily topple your rockwork when they get bigger
frank

VL
05/07/2002, 04:13 PM
Hmm.. The Zebras are cool, but do they get as big as 5' long as listed in a few places? And yeah, clumsey might not be good either.

Sounds like the ribbon eels I might have a chance on them not eating the smaller marron clown. That and they stay somewhat thin (From what I can tell)

I am trying to balance size and temper/eating habits. Obsiously smaller would be the best in my case. BTW: It's a 54 gallon corner tank.

Nice pictures of your lions as well. I have never seen a green dwarf before. Very cool.

Mad Scientist
05/07/2002, 05:27 PM
With a tank that small I would recommend a snowflake or a chain-link. Ribbons are supposed to be very hard to keep and one would probabley be "spooked" by your other fish and not feed.

DresdenKali
05/08/2002, 02:53 PM
I have kept both Zebra and Snowflake Eels. The Zebra I never had any issues with and he was 2ft long. Now the Snowflake has been a headache. So far he is known to have a goby dinner almost a damsel (got too close in feeding) and he has attempted suicide.