PDA

View Full Version : Sweepers?

RevJDA
05/19/2006, 07:58 AM
Two days ago I received a Figi Yellow Leather Coral. It acclimated well and began to open almost immediately. Last night, while the lights were out I was feeding the corals when I noticed long, thin, filaments coming speading out from this coral. They were extremely fine and reminded me of the sweeper tentacles I have seen on other species of corals--except much thinner, almost like spider webs. Nothing I read during my research indicated that this coral has sweeper tentacles. Are there any thoughts on what this could be? BTW, when I turned the actinic lights back on the get a better look they began to retract right before my eyes. I'm concerned about the health of this coral and all the corals near it eventhough left room around it. These filaments were at least 8-10 inches long. Sorry I can't provide a photo. The stuff is far to thin to be seen on a camera.

crzy4reefs
05/19/2006, 08:45 AM
its possible its a slime coat thing that it uses to catch food sometime shed.......my leathers did this

tinyreef
05/19/2006, 11:31 AM
does it look like the following pic?
http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/135982006-0401-10RC.jpg
i believe it's a ctenophore, a type of comb jelly. although this particular one is not located on a sarco (i took the pic from the rock in my pico), they are often associated or hitchhike on them.

basically, they let loose a trailing tentacles with little comb teeth and then pull it back. the ones on "fiji yellows" (s. elegans) are often much more thread-like and have definite "teeth" to one side. the one pictured above is more of an indefinite trailer with stubble/bumps along it imo.

RevJDA
05/19/2006, 01:10 PM
Thanks for the picture, but no, the ones I saw were much finer and no "teeth" on them. They also retracted when the lights were turned back on. As I was watching, it looked like they retracted right into the capitulum. This morning there are no signs of ill affect to the leather or the surrounding corals. And the polyps are well extended today.

Thanks for the reply.

RevJDA
05/24/2006, 06:53 PM
tinyreef,

I found your reply to another post with the same concern as mine. In that post you included a link to another pic of a ctenophore. That's exactly what I've been seeing on my sarco. Thanks for both of posts.

From the comments in the second post, it sounds like there is nothing to worry about. I was considering a freshwater dip if it turned out that this was some sort of harmful parasite.

BTW, the leather is doing remarkably well nearly 2 weeks after I introduced it to my display tank.

Jerry

tinyreef
05/24/2006, 08:50 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7431904#post7431904 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by RevJDA
I found your reply to another post with the same concern as mine. In that post you included a link to another pic of a ctenophore. That's exactly what I've been seeing on my sarco. Thanks for both of posts. you're welcome! i'm sorry i didn't see that linked pic before when i was replying to you the first time. but on the 2nd thread i was determined to find the mental picture i thought you and i were sharing but just couldn't match up. :lol:

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7431904#post7431904 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by RevJDA
BTW, the leather is doing remarkably well nearly 2 weeks after I introduced it to my display tank.that's great to hear! post a pic of it one day, i'd love to see it.

crrichey
05/24/2006, 09:14 PM
If I remember correctly they use it to trap food and then consume the slime (could be wrong).