PDA

View Full Version : Denver local-Join the DSB Diversity Project

denversps
05/06/2002, 08:16 PM
Hello,

I'm getting back into a bigger tank now and wanted to see if there are enough volunteers to make a deep sand bed diversity project work.

What a DSBDP (deep sand bed diversity project) is - is when many different aquarists combine a small portion usually 3 cups each into a mother bed. After about 3-4 weeks all the critters/bacteria/and general goodstuff intermingle.

I just received 200lbs. Southdown that has been in a successful Acro tank for 8 months from Jim locally here to act as the mother bed. This sand is sitting in my 60gal cube tank and will be held until the end of this project. At that time I will add LR and move forward rebuilding my tank.

Here is what I propose:
1. If your reef is at least one year old and healthy you can contribute
2. I will have you drop off your sample to my house (littleton) or workplace(just N of DTC) within the next two weeks.
3. the samples will be combined as they come in.
4. When 3 weeks has passed then I will bag up in a gallon ziplock freezer bag THREE times the amount you donated. The sand will be distributed at the appropriate RMRC meeting or you can swing by and get it.
5. VIOLA!!! AWESOME DSB DIVERSITY

Now I wish I could say this was my idea but I stole it from another major cities reef club.

WHAT'S THE CATCH YOU SAY?

Well I don't want to go through this process unless we can rack up at least 20 different donors.

Please email me at denversps@yahoo.com if you want to be a part of this project.

stevenc64
05/06/2002, 09:23 PM
I'll contribute.

Steve

SeaMatt Nematocyt
05/08/2002, 11:40 AM
I'm in.
Come on people, we just had a meeting about DSB and now we can get some serious diversity.

denversps
05/08/2002, 01:50 PM
Here's an update:

I have my original sand and the mother bed I just bought.
Steven and Matt have signed on. That makes 4 - We're alreay one/fifth of the way there.

Please get the word out to anyone you know with the qualifications below, especially outside of the club.

I have even considered buying GARF grunge an adding that.

ALSO If anyone is placing an order soon and can tack on Live sand - just a couple pounds to their order let me know and I'll pay for it.

In Minneapolis where this type of thing first started - I've heard of unbelievable amounts of diversity when several aquarists share.

TIA

PS - If dropping off the sand is an issue then you can even send it regular parcel mail at the post office and it should be fine.

rockybound
05/08/2002, 03:48 PM
I would, but my tank is only 2 months old. Talk to me next March. :)

cris
05/09/2002, 08:37 PM
I'm in on the sand project.

cris

denversps
05/10/2002, 02:29 PM
Update: Up to 6 now. Thanks - please get the message out on other boards and friends.

bradwent
05/10/2002, 04:19 PM
denversps,

I would like to contribute but I may have some trouble getting you the sand. I am traveling a lot and am currently in Boston, returning tonight, and booked-up this weekend. I will email you.

Anyone up North planning on making a trip to denversps's house so I would be able to drop off sand to you? TIA

denversps
05/13/2002, 12:00 PM
project outlook not too great so far. I might be willing to wait until the next meeting so that people can bring their sand donation there and make it easier

Feedback on this or other ways to get more involved is welcomed

chess_wizard
05/13/2002, 11:38 PM
i'll contribute some sand from my 55g, it probibly dosn't have much in it other than sea turncate larva and red tube worm larva (that stuff is crazy in that tank) I'll have to lend it off at the next meeting.

denversps
05/22/2002, 10:48 PM
Well, the project may be off.

Is anyone willing to bring me a cup of their live sand at the next meeting so I can just try to diversify my sand?

Thanx

SeaMatt Nematocyt
05/23/2002, 12:40 PM
I am still in but I have to work that weekend.
I will work with you to find a time to bring by some sand.

CastleRock
05/23/2002, 06:12 PM
I think the next frag swap we all bring a cup of sand dump it in a 5 gal bucket mix it and everyone take a cup back home

Just a thought

Doug:bum:

denversps
05/24/2002, 11:37 AM
Now there's a brilliant idea. Hopefully there will be 20 different established sand samples. Who's in?

ojreef
05/25/2002, 07:16 PM
I'm in for either plan. Just let me know where and when.

SeaMatt Nematocyt
05/28/2002, 05:43 PM
Okay looks like I will be at the meeting now.
I think Doug has a good idea as well. It would save you some hassle of keeping the sand.
Part of the deal however, was to give you a cup and then we get a gallon. Does that still hold true?

denversps
05/29/2002, 06:52 AM
Here's the deal.

If we get people to bring their contribution (and others stuff who live close to them but who can't make the meeting) I'll bring a 5 gallon bucket and fill it about 1/4 full.

Then we can add the sand from everyone and pour it from one bucket to another several times to mix it. Then everyone who contributed will receive about the same amount back that they put in.

I was upping the amount only to try to get people to bring it to my house to avoid hassling around.

Please respond if your interested in participating.