PDA

View Full Version : Spaghetti Worm reproduction?

Ben1287
05/18/2006, 10:34 PM
Is it possible for spaghetti worms to reproduce in captivity? If so what is the best way to go about getting them to do so?

LeslieH
05/19/2006, 12:56 PM
Do you mean the ones with yellow tentacles in the sand or crevices? These are cirratulids. As long as they're alive & healthy they'll keep reproducing. Problem is, if they're putting out eggs & sperm into the water for fertilization & development your skimmer or other animals are likely to wipe any juveniles that result. On the other hand, many cirratulids reproduce asexually by splitting into pieces; each piece then regenerates the necessary missing bits. If your worms belong to one of these species then you'll soon have a large population of them.

Or do you mean terebellids - the ones with white tentacles? Nearly all of them broadcast sperm & eggs so these are less likely to successfully reproduce.

Ben1287
05/19/2006, 03:23 PM
Sorry no scientific name or ID, they're the ones that look like feather duster worms, but alot smaller. They came in on my LR.

Ben1287
05/27/2006, 11:07 PM
So I did a bit of reaserch (and feel like an idiot) and it turns out that they are terebellids. Does anyone sell these, or do I have to hope on an off-chance that i will get more in on live rock/live sand.

If I am trying to get a spawn from these are there any techniques to prompt this, and what is the best type of setup to reduce losses?

gearqueer
05/28/2006, 09:20 AM
I have only seen them on LR and I have noticed that mine grow larger over time. There are some cool color variations. I have white ones and for a while I had a colony of bright red ones but the rock they were on had a bunch of zoos and I traded it.

kevin2000
05/29/2006, 07:58 AM
Yes spagetti worms will reproduce in captivity. I received a few with a live sand transfer and now have more than I can count.

romunov
05/30/2006, 01:08 AM
How about a pic. I'm not at ease that you have "terrible worms". :bigeyes:

Ben1287
05/30/2006, 04:40 AM
Give me a couple of days and I'll post a pic.