PDA

View Full Version : Which Fish Is Best Breeding For Beginner?

GregDoug
05/06/2002, 06:53 PM
Hello Folks,

I have kept salt tanks for many years and now I would like to pick a few things to breed as an advanced hobby. What would be the easiest to start with. I have several ten gallon tanks that are bare and have been set up for months. I already have banggai's (even though they have never bred) and yellow striped gobies (even though they have never bred) and cleaner shrimps (even though they have never bred). The only successful mating I have had so far is with seahorses. Is there any ideas on what the top ten list would look like for breeding saltwater fish species in the order of how easy the should be? I fiqure the tasks is getting a pair, letting them breed, then raising the fry. Which species are best? Also, is there anyone on here that trades/sells their babies? Please let me know.

Guy
05/06/2002, 08:57 PM
I think Banggai are far easier to breed and raise the fry than any other SW fish. Heck, even I can do it!

I trade the babies mostly but sometimes I'll sell them.

On the Shrimp... are you sure they are not breeding?? I don't know how you could prevent that...

Guy

FMarini
05/06/2002, 09:29 PM
Hi:
I'm in full agreement w/ GUY. Main reason why banggais are the #1 pick. (beside i was the first guy in the continent to breed them) is that the fry eat easy to provide food. If you've ever breed freshwater fish and have hatched baby brine shrimp, then you can raise banggais.
Now if your telling me you have had these banggais in your tank for more than 6 month and they have never bred, it means you don't most likely have a pair. I can recommend you read these articles and see if you get a good sense of breeding these fish. http://www.eparc.com/banggai/banggai.shtml

The other fish you mention like clown gobies and clownfish both require more work on your part to raise the fry (unlike the banggai in which the banggai parents raise the fry). The fry will require rotifer cultures which means greenwater, so its your call what level of experience tyou bring to the table and how much work you want to put into it.
frank

GregDoug
05/06/2002, 11:11 PM
I am going to try banggai's because they do seem easier to do. I am starting my copepods/greenwater cultures for my seahorse babies but mise well try other things also since I already have the time and expense in the culture setup. What are on the top 5 list since banggai's are #1? Thanks

FMarini
05/07/2002, 07:43 AM
HI:
My list of top 5 fish to breed in the home aquarium
#1-banggais
#2-clownfish
3-pseudochromis
4-clowngobies
5-large form seahorses(w/ larger fry)