PDA

View Full Version : Your experience/knowledge of Pink Sea Cucumber

BlueNWhite
05/18/2006, 03:15 PM
I am trying to get some information about the Pink Sea Cucumber. There was one at a LFS that was a nice pink with pointy / coney body.

Thanks for any input.:)

Lev F.
05/18/2006, 03:32 PM
Do you have a Scientific Name? The Pink Cuke I'm thinking of is a species of Cucumaria, they're filter feeders. They have Cuvierian tubules (I think), meaning if they're stressed they may release them or saponins into the water, meaning you'll have about 5 minutes to get everything out if you don't want to lose it. Otherwise, they're fine for reef tanks if you don't have any nippy fish, and be sure to cover your intakes.

BlueNWhite
05/18/2006, 03:40 PM
Sorry, I don't have any scientific name yet. But by the sounds of it, I am definitely leaning towards the 'leave it at the LFS' side right now. Unless I can confirm that this is one of those sea cucumbers that do not release any toxins.

BlueNWhite
05/18/2006, 03:41 PM
I think that it looked something like this:

http://www.saltwaterfish.com/site_11_03/Pink-Cucumber_657_4_63_107.html?PHPSESSID=9c6400601e9c882d5f535c2927e8a944

LeslieH
05/18/2006, 05:31 PM
The one pictured at Salt Water Fish is Pentacta anceps. It's one of the best for aquariums but keep in mind that it's a filter feeder, not a detritivore. If you want one for cleaning up your sand don't buy this. They need established tanks with good plankton production & water circulation to survive.

Javeo
05/18/2006, 06:30 PM
I have one of these, its very pretty and easy to feed, but it only feeds after lights out so thats a little inconvieniant. Mines more green than that one.

BlueNWhite
05/18/2006, 07:21 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7392883#post7392883 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by LeslieH
The one pictured at Salt Water Fish is Pentacta anceps. It's one of the best for aquariums but keep in mind that it's a filter feeder, not a detritivore. If you want one for cleaning up your sand don't buy this. They need established tanks with good plankton production & water circulation to survive.
How do you know if your tank has good plankton production?

Does this have the deadly toxins too?

LeslieH
05/19/2006, 01:00 PM
I'll leave your first question for someone with reef experience. As for the second, this one is very low on the toxicity scale. If it dies in a crevice your real problem will be the effect of having a chunk of rotting meat in the tank!:eek1: :lmao:

BlueNWhite
05/19/2006, 03:14 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7398138#post7398138 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by LeslieH
I'll leave your first question for someone with reef experience. As for the second, this one is very low on the toxicity scale. If it dies in a crevice your real problem will be the effect of having a chunk of rotting meat in the tank!:eek1: :lmao:

Thanks LeslieH

That's one part in favour of going for it!

Now for the feeding part. How to feed this thing. Any other comments on this?

Thanks.:)

Javeo
05/19/2006, 04:54 PM
I feed phytoplankton everyday. Also i feed a mixture of cyclopeeze, finely grated prawns, mysis, mussles and silverside. I use this mix to feed my corals, but the cuke soon spreads the feeding tentacles and starts eating.
As they are so small they dont require as much feeding as sea apples.