PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for new lights

drscheck
05/06/2002, 12:59 PM
Hello all,

Sorry I missed the meeting, I was politely reminded Saturday mourning that we had two lacrosse games to attend.

Anyhoo, I have decided to upgrade my lighting from 4x65 PC to 2x175MH 10000K, plus 2x65 PC actinics. I would like suggestions on how I should "acclimate" the tank to the new lights.

Currently, I run my lights as follows - 2 actinics come on for an hour, then the 2 88K come on for 8 hours then the actinics extinguish an hour later.

So right now my tank is receiving 10 hours of 130watts of actinic and 8 hours of 130watts of 88K light, everything on top of a 55gallon.

Should I start with 5 hours of MH and move up an hour a week until I reach 10 to 12 hours a day?

Thanks in advance

Doug

aquapimp
05/06/2002, 04:35 PM
Hi Doug,

I've always run the actinics as usual. As you suggested, running the new halides for 4-5 hrs is a great start. Most importantly, watch the corals! If need be, either move troubled specimens, or reduce the photoperiod. I think you'll see that few, if any corals will need much adjustment time.

Tom

ReeferMac
05/06/2002, 04:40 PM
Should I start with 5 hours of MH and move up an hour a week until I reach 10 to 12 hours a day?

Well, lesse, we're going from 260 Compact Flourescent lighting up to 350 Watts of Metal Halide...

I'd almost go with 4 hours at first, not so much because of the spectrum shift, but intensity. While the corals on the outer edges of the Bulb's light would probably do OK, whatever you have smack-dab in the middle of each half of the tank, is going to get BLASTED!

To make it even easier on the wee beasties, run 2 hours in the morning, and 2 hours in the afternoon (or whenever your photoperiod runs), while leaving the PC's on for your regular photoperiod. I'd also put one white (8800K?) and one Actinic in, to start at least, rather than two actinics.

Run like that for a couple weeks, and then gradually shift the photoperiod's together, shortening the time in between each morning/afternoon, until you meet, and have whatever "Total Halide Time" you want. FWIW I run both my MH's and VHO's for 12 hours each, offset by 1 hour (13 hours total) - And RG&E Loves me!

Beware however, you may experience some Algae blooms (Cyano, Diatoms, Hair algae, you name it!), may see some bleaching, and will definitely want to have at least a 6-pack of beer on hand for when your next Utility Bill comes :lol:

- Mac

cperson
05/06/2002, 08:46 PM
Mac, don't overreact, dude. It's only an increase of 230 watts. I agree it's a lot more light but it will be almost unnoticeable on you bill. 230watts x 8 hours = 1.84 kw/hours per day x 30 days = 55.2 kw/hours per month. At a rate of $0.10 per kw/hour (about what RG&E charges), that's a whopping $5.55 increase per month.

Doug, I'd get the 6-pack anyway, just to have around. If you want my opinion, get Sam Adams. Or Guinness.

drscheck
05/07/2002, 07:53 AM
I appreciate all the help.

As for the 6-pack, I have plenty o' homebrew, beats any commercial stuff

Now, another question if you don't mind. I currently have a 4' tank, does it matter if I mount the bulbs parallel or perpendicular? Then when I get the 65g it will be 3' so again what orientation is preffered?

Thanks everyone

Zmann
05/07/2002, 08:18 AM
Sounds like the next meeting is at "Dougs Home Brew House".:beer:

ToddsReef
05/07/2002, 08:43 AM
Doug,
Orientation depends mostly on your reflector and your supplementary lighting. One of the problems with the perpendicular orientation is that it makes it more difficult to mount other bulbs. With a tank that is 3 or 4 feet in length and 18inches front to back, I would go with parallel if you are using two halides. Just my opinion though, this is a heavily debated topic in the main forum. Here are some threads on perpendicular versus parallel:

http://archive.reefcentral.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=26555&highlight=halide+parallel+perpendicular

http://archive.reefcentral.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=49590&highlight=parallel+perpindicular

http://archive.reefcentral.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=44275&highlight=parallel+perpindicular

http://archive.reefcentral.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=64319&highlight=parallel+perpindicular

Good luck!
Todd

ReeferMac
05/07/2002, 03:24 PM
Sounds like the next meeting is at "Dougs Home Brew House".

WOO-HOO!!!!
I second that one :D

I also agree with Todd... I'm still in the process of finishing my new hood (yes, it's been 4 months, yes, I'm very lazy), who's main purpose was to change the bulb orientation from parallel to perpendicular (Back to front).

I can't say that I'm unhappy with the way my tank works now, having them come from the middle of the tank, out into each half... been working fine for the 2 years (or is it 3 now?) that I've had the 90 Gal and halides.

I've heard lots of debate about it, but nothing really conrete (and haven't read through all of Todd's links yet either). I think the largest contributing factor to that discussion however, is the shape and design of your reflectors. Some are 'designed' to be run in a perpendicular orientation (and are even sized for particular tanks). The angles and bends in the material are calculated to fit a certain sized tank at a certain height (or at least come close on a few). Now that's not to say, that if you bought reflectors designed for one way, and mounted them the other, that things wouldn't work out ;-). It's just that the efficencies wouldn't be as big.

The other point that Todd brought up, is also very true - Front to back is near impossible to get other bulbs in there. You may find that you don't want to, but those of us bitten by the Acro bug tend to cram as much light as humanely possible into very tight spaces. So a second bank of PC's is really worth something to us ;-)

If you've already got reflectors, check w/ the manufacturer to see which way they are designed to go. If you don't, Take some measurements, sketch out a scale drawing of your hood, bulbs, reflectors, everything, and play around, see how you're going to fit everything in there. It's harder than it seems at first, trust me ;-)

- Mac

Stoli
05/07/2002, 03:47 PM
Doug:

As you saw last night, I seem to get more than sufficient light mounted parallel. It seems that most of the tanks I've seen with hoods rather than pendants run them parallel. More important, I really think it depends on your reflector.

Todd is the local physics expert and he'd probably tell you that you can focus more light on the surface of the water in the tank by mounting perpendicular but I wonder how relevant that is in light of the fact that the light should reflect off the inside of the tank as well. I know this isn't real clear, but its the best I can do at the end of a long day.

Oh, and about that home brew.... When are you hosting the next meeting:D

Allen (Stoli)

drtango
05/08/2002, 11:58 AM
Seems the thread has changed a little--My 92 corner tank has been through every imaginable lighting configuration short of 20k radium. Latest is the perpendicular spider arrangement with the VHO actinics under the halides, PC actinic in the middle as it does not have an internal reflector so light shines through. 10 K 250 AB bulbs. Lotsa bulbs in a small space.

Like this alot, seems like more/better light with the perpendicular PFO reflectors.

John T.

http://www.reefcentral.net/vbulletin/attachment.php?postid=520357