PDA

View Full Version : vacation care trades?

johara
05/06/2002, 12:46 PM
As summer approaches, my thoughts have once again turned to ways to keep my reef happy during vacations. I have read that some other reefclubs have kept a list of people who would be willing to trade vacation care with other relatively nearby reefers. I have always had a network of (kid) babysitting traders that has worked well. Why not reeftank sitters? I would be happy to join such a list. The main impediment is how spread out our members seem to be, but with enough people participating that shouldn't be too much problem. I'd be more than happy to travel a little to care for someone's tank, if it meant knowing that someone knowledgeable would be caring for my tank in my absence. Anyone interested in exploring this idea further?

Along a similar line - I would like to set up a more reliable topoff system. Seems like the large model Nurce would be great, but they are no longer making them and have no idea if and when they will resume. Anyone have an old one they'd like to sell, or have another suggestion?

Johara

dsb1829
05/06/2002, 05:38 PM
Other issue is locality. Some of us are a bit far for others in the club to venture out. I am lucky to have a fellow reefer in town that I trade with. Good idea though.

maniac13
05/06/2002, 05:52 PM
To bad your not in Illinois.... I just started a new Reef Setting business

Bob

Tenner
05/07/2002, 11:36 AM
Hello all,

This is a great idea!

Two summers ago I went on vacation for a month and paid a local store that had a service business tend to my tanks. Good ol Murphy's Law kicked in.

My main return pump died. The display tank fouled enough that a large carpet anemone I had died. Once it died, it really fouled the tank, and I lost several other corals.

The Service company (no longer in business) waited a whole week to visit my tank, and by then it was too late.

If someone would have come out every three days or so it could have been avoided.

Sign me up. Who wants to run it?

Thanks
Matthew

johara
05/07/2002, 02:30 PM
I'm willing to be a point person and keep a list of people willing to participate, their e-mails &/or phone #s as desired, and how far they are willing to drive. People can e-mail me with requests to be on the list, or vacation requests and I'll forward names of people who are nearby enough.

Johara

lori344
05/13/2002, 07:00 PM
Johara,
Count us in... this is a great idea! Since moving to the bay area last July we've had no one! In our old neighborhood we had a neighbor we trusted, it was fantastic.

Ron and I will pitch in here in the northern-east bay. Also, I work in the city, so if needed I can help out on the week days there.
~lori

Tenner
05/15/2002, 02:49 PM
Hello all,

I can cover the Pleasanton, Dublin, Livermore, San Ramon area.

Johara, do you want to put together some basic guidlines. Sorry I don't have much free time at the moment.

Thanks
Matthew

Tenner
05/23/2002, 11:05 PM
Hello all,

I'd like to suggest this item be taken up by the club. We could use a volunteer to keep track of all those interested in participating.

Justin, what do you think?

Thanks
Matthew

RustySnail
05/24/2002, 03:54 AM
Tenner Wrote:

If someone would have come out every three days or so it could have been avoided.
-----

Not necessarily... A stagnate tank for more than 24 hours or so could create enough die-off (due to low oxygen) to cause a crash. I know, since about a month ago, simply shutting down my skimmer for the weekend (reduced flow/low surface agitation) caused my tank to go south (lost a few corals, luckily I was able to get it back to balance).

Temperature extremes are another big issue, because a local heat wave while you are away (and say you forgot to set your home A/C, or your chiller breaks down), can cause an overheat/die-off.

Remember that when you hand off a system for someone to care for, you must give that person a checklist of things to keep an eye on, be sure he/she knows how your system functions (mechanically/electrically), and what to do in case of ANY FAILURE (including makeshift fixes if your pump goes down). Contingencies (if corals start looking bad, ammonia levels are high, a fish dies, etc.) should also be discussed/agreed upon.

Lots to consider, these thoughts are only a starting pont... ;)

Russ

BTW: I think a good way to do the 'trade list' would be to go by geographic zone, and then have a revolving list of people for each zone.

For example, the Concord/WC area could be one zone, Martinez/Pacheco/Plesant Hill could be a zone, Lafayette/Orinda, etc.

Now you have a list of people for each zone. Whoever is on top of the list is the person who has to do the next 'tank sitting' job. If he/she is unavailable for that day/location then they just stay at the top of the list for the next request. Once you have fulfilled an obligation you go to the bottom of the list.

If you go on a trip and use the service, you immediately go to the top of the list to provide the next vacation care.

This way, you keep track of who is available to help where, and who has obligation to do the next care service.

JMHO...