PDA

View Full Version : Rapid City Area

Jiddy
05/17/2006, 01:13 PM
I dont expect this nook of RC to flood with members but would like to start what our sistergroup (lol) in SiouxFalls has done.

Besides many years from now we will look back at the date of this post and laugh.

Anyhow, about myself. I currently have a 220 main display tank in my bedroom of my very small house. Im still in the process of gathering enough courage (money) to convert my 55 into SW and i have an empty 90gal that i would like to startup as well (money). I just bought a house and have a huge unfinished basement to start my fishroom/fishbasement, so as long as the move goes well i should be in business!

Now ill just go out and gather some Rapid Citians!

-Jiddy

ewaldm
05/18/2006, 01:32 AM
Hi, my name is Michael Ewald, and I'm a member of the Sioux Falls Aquarium Society even though I live in Watertown.

Well, you are going to have to wait for a few months yet, but I'm a senior in high school who will be attending college at Black Hills State University. I've been slowly adding some sofites (mushrooms, xenia, zoas, colts, toadstool leather) some lps (torch, hammer, bubble, doughnut brain coral) and this last weekend my first sps (monti digi). I'm unsure what I'll be doing with the tank when I come out to the hills but you'll probably have at least one person to trade frags with. :)

Jiddy
05/18/2006, 04:50 AM
Sounds good Michael, i also goto BHSU, its a good school. There is a high amount of reefers in this area (judging by LFS sales) so some day this thread will be booming

ewaldm
05/18/2006, 10:30 AM
Really, that is exciting! I'm looking forward to Spearfish, it's a beautiful place. Is that where you are located than? I didn't know there was a LFS in the Hills, Rapid, or Spearfish?

If you ever have to come East river for some reason, you need to stop at Grant's (aka tangdiver) store (Oceans of the Midwest). You cannot beat the prices, selection, or service! He's awesome!

p.s. If you ever need an extra pair of hands with your tank just let me know. Are you planning a reef? SPS, LPS, Softies?

Jiddy
05/18/2006, 02:36 PM
I live in Rapid, im actually a little of town (oppisite way) from Spearfish. Im in the military and they have a small BHSU campus on base that i goto, my Sr. year i will have to drive out to Spearfish to take more specific schooling. Besides all the LFS are in Rapid, lol.

And I should be driving through SF on my way to Minneapolis at the beginning of June, one of my SF stops will be Grant's if at all possible. Ill be trying to recruit him over to Rapid, lol -JK-

About the extra hand, i always need an extra hand, i dont really know what im doing yet, so i make silly mistakes, plus like many on here, im such a fish-nerd that i just love to talk for hours about SW tanks.

My tank currently is an 220AGA tank with softies. Has a variety of Zoo's, Xenia, Leathers, Pagoda Cup, Shrooms and a few corals i recieved with a big order. I also have a impulse buy Anemone that is hosted by two skunks. My lighting is VHO, but im saving up to get MH's and with the extra room from the new house, hope to make some sweet upgrades

-Jiddy

pisomojado
05/23/2006, 10:27 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7384326#post7384326 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Jiddy

I just bought a house and have a huge unfinished basement to start my fishroom/fishbasement, so as long as the move goes well i should be in business!

Now ill just go out and gather some Rapid Citians!

-Jiddy

Good luck with your move, mine basically destroyed my tank. I haven't really had the time to restart it yet, so its basically just a rock cooking tank sitting in the basement. We will definatly have to get together for a beer some time in the fall when you guy are.

Jiddy
05/23/2006, 06:15 PM
Im glad you popped up, i was worried i was going to be talking to myself. Are you selling your tank in the paper? I had my wife call someone from Spearfish to see if we could go up and look at the tank.

What went wrong with the tank move? You cant be saying stuff like that before i move, lol. On a good note, i will be able to set up my 90g and 55g in the basement, ill just turn the whole thing into a fishroom for now.

Once i get setup ill have you over for a BBQ and we can bring ewaldm, we'll give him some soda!-JK-

-Jidz

ewaldm
05/24/2006, 08:40 AM
And I was hoping I had found someone to buy in Spearfish. :mixed: :D

pisomojado
05/24/2006, 04:07 PM
hehe minors, root beer for the wee ones. No I'm not selling my tank. Did you see that in the pioneer? I may have to go hunting tonight. By the way in Spearfish the B&B and the Knights Cellar are not going to card you, unless you look like a 14 year old.

pisomojado
05/24/2006, 04:13 PM
all sorts of things went wrong when I moved the tank. I wasn't able to live at the house for about 3 weeks, and it sat in the basement. I ended up using tap water in the three 10 gallon tanks I had set up not even thinking about it, and that basically insta nuked all of my coral, and cleaners in one tank. Then I got the tank set up with just the fish, and my kole tang came down with some nasty fungus, and the whole tank was dead within 48 hours. So I've been letting it for 2 months dead so that whatever disease was in the tank would be killed off.

Jiddy
05/24/2006, 05:53 PM
I cant believe you didnt get a hold of me or Cheryl at BlackHills Angels, shame on you. Sorry for your loses thou, do you want to help me with my move? June 19th!!!! -JK- i should have it under control!

And i would totally look at that guys tank, it was a week and a half ago, it was in the classifieds of the Rapid City Journal, its also listed online at the journals website, you may see some things to get from him, i just lke to look at other peoples tanks and try to keep them in the hobby, by the time they are selling its almost to late thou

Ewaldm- Sorry man, we will need you for a D&D man, dont worry we will do it for you when your 21, lol, -JK-

pisomojado
05/25/2006, 09:35 AM
Don't suppose you've seen any good white sand around town anywhere? I need probably 100lbs, and don't really want to pay the premium for argonite. I want to make my bed a little deeper before I order some new cleaners.

Jiddy
05/25/2006, 12:54 PM
I forgot the name, but its your typical aquarium sand (ill look it up later today) but at Black Hills Angels i was quoted a good price, i actually have some laying around because i havent decided if i want to go DSB or not yet, thats who you should def go with

And who are you going with on the cleaner crew? I highly highly req. ReefTopia.com if you get an order id like to get a few more pep shrimps since they are cheap

pisomojado
06/16/2006, 10:09 AM
I'm going to try and go sand searching this weekend, finally have some time off.

Btw I will be in Newcastle Wy the 19th-23rd, so thats my excuse! I would actually rather help a semi stranger move though, crappy work :/

Jiddy
06/19/2006, 03:50 PM
Well Black Hills Angels definatly has the sand i used, and its a fair price, especially if you include shipping, lol.

I just got my tank moved to my new house and all setup, its pretty impressive, ill have to have you over for some input.

pisomojado
08/23/2006, 08:00 PM
ping?

Jiddy
08/24/2006, 01:16 PM
Pong!

Glad to see your still alive, i was sick of talking to myself

Jiddy
09/08/2006, 04:40 PM
There was just a 200gal for $250 in the paper, and i missed it *cry*