PDA

View Full Version : Sandra's Fish - Yasha goby and pistol shrimp

mothra
05/15/2006, 10:17 PM
Ever since Sandra picked up this Yasha goby from Twins we have been totally fascinated by it. She already had it's natural symbiant the Randall's pistol shrimp and we had benn looking for this fish for a long time now. We wondered if they would pair up. This past weekend I took the goby out of our QT tank and put him in her nano cube and they paired up instantly. I personally thought we wouldn't see much of either of them, but they are both totally out in the open. The shrimps behavior has completely changed since adding his 'watchman' friend. This is the best pic I could manage for now.

http://www.nvreefers.org/images/0052 vlad 600x450.jpg

In a larger tank with larger fish I believe these guys would be intimidated and not do well. The only other fish in Sandra's tank is a clown goby (below) and everyone gets along great. I would highly recommend this combination to anyone with a small and peaceful tank. Oh almost forgot - the only catch is you'll need some type of substrate with medium grain size and about an inch or two of it. As of the time of me posting this Twins has the same fish AND shrimp (they are already paired) for $40.

http://nvreefers.org/images/0016%20jack%20peek%20small.jpg

Reefugee
05/16/2006, 12:39 AM
Great pictures. How are they for helping maintaining a clean sandbed? I am thinking about getting a diamond watchman goby. Any other goby you can recommend?

mothra
05/16/2006, 09:47 AM
Thanks Minh. This little guy is not a sand sifter but the shrimp is turning over a LOT of sand by digging burrows all over the place, then closing them, digging them again etc. Diamond watchman gobies are cool, I think Plankton just got a pair of them, it was either that or yellow headed gobies.

Bdimas
05/16/2006, 10:47 AM
Cool pics!
BTW I finally saw Leatha's panda goby, its about 1cm long.

mothra
05/16/2006, 11:43 AM
Right on. That is tiny! What do you feed the little guy?

Bdimas
05/16/2006, 01:55 PM
Cyclopeze, brine and mysis.

plankton
05/18/2006, 12:25 AM
Jake/Sandra - Congrats on the new addition (just warming up for the other post we will all be making soon).

Those are really nice pics.