PDA

View Full Version : Kenya tree info?

Frozen Roadkill
05/14/2006, 11:17 PM
Iv been seeing the treads about this facinating coral, and have started to wonder more about it. Im interested in maybe getting some, but first I wanna make sure it won't kill my exisitng corals.

I heard it was aggressive, and my main priority would be keeping my mantis safe and healthy. (2) is my zooanthid, xenia, and Lord Ant. safety and well-being, and (3) is my Coris Wrasses safty and well-being. Could a Kenya tree hurt any of them? I would make sure not to let it get to close to any other corals, but the fish and mantis I dont control.

Also, is a kenya tree somthing I could find at a LFS, or somthing I would have to order. Does it eat foods or is it photosynthetic? Very expensive?

Any info from anyone or stories from Kenya tree owners would be fantastic! Thanks in advance,
Liz

Nagel
05/14/2006, 11:47 PM
Nah, won't hurt them at all. Just grows like a weed and can choke out other corals..

Mainly photosynthetic, usually found at stores, or people in your local club may give it away. Some people in my local club have so much we can't even give it away..

Zaphod
05/15/2006, 12:19 AM
If you were local i woukd give you 20 frags. it really grows like a weed in my tank but have a fealing it uses excess nutrients.

Frozen Roadkill
05/15/2006, 10:03 PM
Sweetness. So dang, I need to find someone nearby that has one then, haha.

DesertBandits
05/16/2006, 09:47 PM
I used to think it was cool, but now i just think its a weed, and want to get rid of it. Its both ugly and aggressive. Think twice before you buy it.

Frozen Roadkill
05/17/2006, 09:50 PM
I think it looks pretty, and saw it today at a store in person. I wont buy it until I have a job and money to get more live rock, and a big peice to glue a frag to so I could get rid of it, but I found where I could buy a frag for $8

crrichey
05/17/2006, 10:40 PM
I think it would be cool to put liverock rubble around the coral so that when it drops babies they land on the rubble and can be removed easily.

Frozen Roadkill
05/18/2006, 05:47 PM
Good idea, I should try that when I get one. Cool :)

parothead22
05/20/2006, 09:38 AM
Kenyon Tree corals are similar to Colt corals. They grow very fast, and are very hardy. Propagation is easy. moderate to strong water movement is essential to stop the stalks from collapsing, which almost always results in death of the coral.
They are'nt very toxic, in fact most Xenia species are in the "most toxic" category in terms of their defense chemicals!

TJcop
05/22/2006, 07:52 PM
While we're on this topic...my (2 week old) Kenya/Colt was looking great, until yesterday. It's pretty shriveled up and doesn't look good. I know that my Toadstool and Finger leather do this to "shed", but does this Softie do this also? Should I worry, or is this normal?

parothead22
05/23/2006, 01:02 AM
The toxicity of these again is low, they seem to be infected by other softies and stonies more so. Are their any corals close in proximity to cause it harm? Is it collapsed(stalk)? As far as sloughing(shedding mucus) is concerned mine never has done it like my Sarcophyton(leather). Try offering it some food like Marine snow as these corals dont rely as much on zooanthellae(strong lighting) for nutrients/food. MaYBE THIS WILL HELP. Other than that, just wait and see.. Check your water as well even though if your other corals are healthy then your water is probably fine.

gearqueer
05/23/2006, 09:09 AM
I would not get kenya tree unless you have lots of space for it. I started with a 2 inch long strand of it and it turned into a softball sized tree in a few months. Then it dropped arms everywhere when I was at work and they attached in some really hard places to reach. the arms got near my acans and some cool orange mushrooms. It made them shrivel. I cut the kenya arms away and sold the large piece to my LFS. Now 2 months later my lord acans is just starting to look normal again.