PDA

View Full Version : Mycobacterium Marinum

TOURKID
05/10/2006, 08:39 PM
hiya :) so Im hoping paranoias got the best of me. wouldent be the first time. but im having a skin issue.. and theres a few things it could be....

i go to the gym.. ringworm? still no ring...

I dug some soil outside.. posion ivy? boxilisim? I donno.. ive never had posion ivy, pics on the net could look like what i have

but then agian.. the pics of Mycobacterium Marinum could be it to... so i figured id ask. Im making a doc appointment tomorrow either way.

so... on sunday.. (4 days ago) I was walking in a lfs and my arm was itchy. i scratched and felt a little bump. I looked... there were two bumps.

they looked like blisters from maybe a cig. ash... I ended up leaveing the lfs sorta fast because i wanted to wash my hands and scratch agian..

I went home and tried to pop them. i thought they were def. blisters, had the appearance of a liquid underneth.. but there was nothing to pop. they are hard.

they are located about halfway between my wrist and elbow, on the underside of my arm. I dont recall cutting myself or anything prior to it.....

I would say i have my hands in the tank way to much...

Oh.. I only have 1 fish, a clown, acting totally normal. i have a blood shrimp and it doesent look so hot. has non symetrical black spots and started to look pale, and scratched its tail alot. it molted today and the spots and discolor are gone.. but i assume they'll be back....

so i guess i wanna know if it was itchy, if neosporin helped (dident help me) or benedril (serious relief for me)

and if it was red and inflamed right away or just painful?

thanks. will help me sleep tonight :D

Steven Pro
05/10/2006, 08:41 PM
I felt nothing to my bumps. No itch, no pain. I would definitely keep that doctor's appointment though.

TOURKID
05/10/2006, 08:45 PM
good to hear! hey maybe its posion ivy! yay! *grins* thanks for the ultra quick responce :)

Steven Pro
05/12/2006, 07:21 AM
You caught me at a good time. I just happened to be on when you posted.

winterspice
12/15/2006, 06:19 PM
Steven Pro
I read your artical on Mycobacter Marinum. I am very interested in knowing if there are other parasites one can catch from our aquariums? The reason being I have been diganosed with a signal cell parasite called Blastocystis hominis. I came down with this after I recieved some sick fish, which all died, and also I had got two wild caught Tigar Botais. I have looked and looked on the net and can't fine anything about this in fish. My doctor says that you can get this just from nice clear streems, also other animals, Talked to the Vet. and he said if any of the aminals had it they would show symptoms. Which they haven't and all of them are 10 years old or older. So being the fish is the only thing I got diferent in the last 10 years I am very concerned. I have been deling with this for about three months. Can you help me?
Thank you
Jackie

Steven Pro
12/15/2006, 07:49 PM
I have never heard of this disease and I looked in Noga's Fish Disease and did not find it. Sorry I could not be of greater assistance.

winterspice
12/15/2006, 07:58 PM
Thank you for your fast reply. I wonder if it is called something else in the fish world?
Thank you ever so much

puertorico
01/06/2007, 08:12 AM
Thank you for the information on Mycobacterium, I am now shuddering to think how many times in my 40 years of aquarium keeping I have had my mouth on the end of a siphon hose and worse yet, how many times I have miss calculated and gotten a mouthful. I don't know any other way that works as well....what do you do to start a siphon? I have various hoses of different diameter that I use for large to small jobs, any suggestions?

Thank you so much,
Carol

Steven Pro
01/07/2007, 08:15 AM
The easiest way is to place the hose in the aquarium such that the entire thing fills with water from end to end. Then put your thumb over each end to trap the water inside. Then place one end in your bucket while elaving the other end in the aquarium and then just take your thumbs off the ends. The water will start running just as if you had sucked on it to start the siphon.

Note, while this method protects you from getting water in your mouth, it only protects you overall if you also wear long gloves to keep your hands and arms dry.