PDA

View Full Version : New toys arrived

Stoli
05/04/2002, 05:48 AM
Well, I've stared at the thorough documentation (not!) that came with the ballasts as well as the numerous wires. Most of it actually makes sense. Just one question:

Can I simply wire the power leads to a plug and plug it in to a standard outlet? Since there is a positive, negative and ground lead, it seems straightforward. The problem is that those leads are not within any type of conduit like a typical power cord. How have you guys handled it?

ReeferMac
05/04/2002, 06:09 AM
Dunno Stoli, Bare Wire's, cheap price... Was this thing at all "warm" when you got it ;-)

Just kidding man! :D

You can get wire wraps at the LHS, I've seen 'em. Just plastic wrapped around in a tube-like fashion. You have to thread the wire's through manually. You could also just tape it all up w/ electrical tape too.

Now I'm assuming you're talking about the wire's from the ballast to the wall (and not ballast to the bulbs). Weren't these IceCap Ballast's? I'm surprised they didn't come w/ a more professional looking wiring harness, they are usually pretty good that way.

See if you can't bribe Jamie or Dave, they're the resident electrical experts.

- Mac

saltwaterfishlover
05/04/2002, 06:41 AM
my icecap 660 came with just plain individual wires also (same with my crappy sun seeker) you can eithor tape them by wire wrap or tie wrap them

wire wrap will look most professional tie wraps work great
tape gets the job done. and yes it can be just plugged into an outlet or timer once you put a plug on the end.

dmorel
05/04/2002, 08:52 AM
I think the *stock* wiring harness comes just as you described. I've purchased 2 660's a both came this way.
It's a $2.00 part at any LHS (as kev pointed out). Get a grounded "three prong" and you'll be fine.

It's a simple affair, just a screwdriver is all you need to tighten down the connections. (well, insurance would be good too, but not required :eek2: )

-dm