PDA

View Full Version : Asterina star fish or other?

dgasmd
05/09/2006, 11:16 AM
I have all these little tiny star fish coming out of nowhere. The first thing I thought to myself was: asterina starfish. However, someone came over and looked at them and said he was almost sure they were not as there is another type of starfish that looks similar but has a very small difference on the legs when compared to asterinas.

Can someone describe what asterina and the other Ok ones look like so I know which do I have? I'd hate to add a few harlequin shrimp to solve a problem I may not even have, not to mention that starts a chain a live starfish feeding for live.

Thanks,
dgasmd

capncapo
05/09/2006, 11:44 PM
Sounds like BS to me. Some Asterinas are reported to cause broblems but the vast majority do not.

I wouldn't worry about them unless you see them causing problems.

dgasmd
05/10/2006, 07:50 AM
Enlighten me. What is the part that sounds like BS to you??

I did do a large search yesterday and found multiple pictures of asterina starfish. The ones I have are definately it. I think I will leave it be for now. Thanks for the reply.

kmk2307
05/10/2006, 11:45 AM
The taxonomy of the starfish called "Asterina" is a mess. I think some work shown there are at least two groups of unrelated starfish in this genus. I don't know what other genus your friend might have been thinking of. As capncapo pointed out, rarely they may bother corals (they being some species not all) but usually are harmless interesting grazers.

Kevin

CamBarr
05/31/2006, 10:47 AM
Hey guys sorry to dig this one up.
I too am having a bit of a problem with an Asterina strain. they seem to be eating all of my coralline and I used to have great growth so I have been removing them by using tweezers just wanted to add my 2 cents any one have experience???
cb